Unlimited license consumption
How do you mark a license for unlimited consumption so it doesn't show up in the over or under utilized reporting? I found this in the SLO Practice Guide but don't see the 'Entitlement limits section in the Compliance tab of license properties'.
Managing Unlimited Licenses
For cases where vendors allow you to use unlimited quantities of their software, FlexNet Manager Suite provides a way to define a rule that characterizes the entitlement limits defined by the license agreement. The rule affects how the license is flagged if consumption exceeds the entitlement limits. Please see the Entitlement limits section in the Compliance tab of license properties. This enables you choose a rule that appropriately characterizes the entitlement limits defined by the license agreement. The following Entitlement limits options are provided:
• As purchased — Terms of the license set the number of entitlements purchased as the cap for entitlement limit. The license is flagged as “At risk” when consumption exceeds purchased entitlements.
• Subject to true-up — Terms of the license allow consumption to exceed purchased entitlements as long as additional licenses are purchased at the end of the true-up period (as defined in the relevant purchasing agreement). The license remains “Compliant” when consumption exceeds purchased entitlements
• Unlimited — Terms of the license allow for unlimited entitlements. Unlike “Subject to true-up” licenses, with “Unlimited” licenses you do not need to purchase additional entitlements to rectify overages, because the license does not have any limit on entitlements or consumption, and is “Compliant” at all times. As there is no relationship between the purchased entitlements and the consumption, “Shortfall/Availability” is not reported for these licenses.
Re: Unlimited license consumption
It sounds like you are not running the latest FNMS release. Some alternatives that should work on older releases:
- You could just try to use a different license type. "Enterprise" ("A license to install software an unlimited number of times within the enterprise (which can therefore never be over-utilized).").
- Or you could, if supported by your license type, mark the checkbox "Subject to true-up" in the "Identification" tab.