cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ryan_hoverman
Occasional contributor

Replacing SCCM w/ VMWare Workspace One

Hi!  Our company is starting to look at SCCM replacements and one that came up is VMWare Workspace One.  Has anyone tried to connect FNMS to Workspace One to replicate the SCCM Inventory Import?  

7 Replies
Community Manager ChrisG Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replacing SCCM w/ VMWare Workspace One

I'm not intimately familiar with Workspace ONE, but believe that the technology which gathers inventory in Workspace ONE may be AirWatch.

See the following thread for discussion about using AirWatch as a source of inventory: AirWatch support

While AirWatch is a useful tool for device management, from my experience with it I can say that it is not a great source of inventory for FlexNet. There are a range of data elements that are typically important or at least helpful to have access to in order to support license management that AirWatch does not gather (at least, without custom configuration). These include:

• Various hardware/computer properties including processor count, processor type, processor speed, core count, operating system, chassis type, hardware manufacturer, memory, hard drive count, disk space, display adapter count, network card count, IP addresses, and domain name
  • Data that FlexNet can treat as installer evidence for all software installed on the device
  • File evidence
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
ryan_hoverman
Occasional contributor

Thanks so much for these data points.  I will follow up with them to see thoughts on how similar or upgraded this is vs the original AirWatch. 

In this case would the best practice be to install the Flexera Agent globally and then utilize App Portal integration? (we also use App Broker)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Community Manager ChrisG Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, installing the FlexNet agent will give more comprehensive insight into what software is deployed and the licensing implications of those deployments that you will get from connecting FlexNet to AirWatch.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
ryan_hoverman
Occasional contributor

Thanks for the data!  Is there a white paper or any data out there on the agent?  Our workplace team would like to learn more.  For example, how often does a device need to connect to the network for the agent to report back, etc.

Thanks!

0 Kudos