cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QEMU Integration

Good day community

I would like to know if anyone has integrated QEMU with FNMS. The reason i am asking is that we have some Windows Servers and Oracle Linux Servers that have been built through QEMU and the VM Type suggests that it is Linux KVM.

The issue we have is that the VMs are not being mapped to hosts.

Your advice is much appreciated.

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Since QEMU is based on KVM since version 0.12, it is technically corect. Identifying virtualization technologies like VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, etc. is only part of the overall process.

I am not completely sure how the agent does collect Host-VM-relationships in this case. Do you run the FNMS inventory agent on all Host machines? Which agent version do you run?

Best regards,

Markward

@mfranz - We are running 2020 R1 agents on all hosts

Well, the ultimate question would be if the agent can collect Host-VM-relationship data. And if yes, under which circumstances. If Flexera is not answering this here in the forum, I suggest you open a support case.

@iammanzi  - The support that the FlexNet Manager Agent provides for KVM is for the Linux KVM kernel module that is part of the OS.

QEMU is an open-source software application that is installed on top of the OS, like other applications and is not part of the Linux kernel.

Based on that, I do not think that FlexNet Manager will support your QEMU infrastructure.  You will likely need to use the Spreadsheet Import Templates to link VMs to the correct host.

https://www.packetflow.co.uk/what-is-the-difference-between-qemu-and-kvm/