cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB Inventory through Inventory rule

Dear Community,
I have set up a discovery and inventory rule to scan Exadata Oracle databases. When I executed it, it says "Discovery shows that this device is a Windows or a UNIX device but the rule 'Exadata Machines' does not allow for inventory gathering."
I followed a community article and selected the necessary options (attached the screenshots). Is there anything else that I need to be selecting? Here's the link to the article, I followed the discovery method:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/Script-to-create-an-Oracle-user-with-the-access-required-for/ta-p/1758

(9) Replies

Hi @sanbeam ,

Why don't you install an flexera agent on the oracle servers? It's more reliable than a remote connection, and any way you will need hardware information of the server,  so with the agent you can achieve both of this

@adrian_ritz1 , having the agent was our first approach. But the application team internally had concerns because these are Exadata machines and having any kind of agents may cause issues.

And to have the hardware inventory gathered, we had a one time run of ndtrack on the target machine based on Flexera's suggestion.

Hi @sanbeam ,

To do the remote audit from FNMS is a little bit more tricky, I try to reproduce from my head the steps.

You need a tnsname.ora file to put on the beacon server and to know where the connection is, or you can manually fill up on discovery and inventory a new device having all this informaiton.

On beacon server you need to install the ODAC drive 32 bit version if I remember correctly.

On beacon in the password store you need to fill up the oracle service account that you will use for audit.

On app server, you need to create a target with exadata server, you need assign that subnet or ip to the beacon that will handle the audit

You need to create a rule with this target and action oracle inventory I think.

On oracle server you need to create an audit account which will have read only access on the database.

I put all this information from my head, I must admit that I did use remote audit for a long time, I always advise to be installed agents on servers which will gather the inventory.

Thank you, @adrian_ritz1.
Any idea what different options need to be exactly selected in the Actions section?

You will be able to see the options I've given in the screenshot I've attached earlier, but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Hi @sanbeam ,

Your configuration seems to be ok, did you created the device in All Discovery devices, did you assign the discovered devices to a beacon?

When you runt the tasks what error do you receive on the beacon?

@adrian_ritz1 ,

The device has been created in the All Discovered Devices, the initial inventory was fetched through the light-weight agent.

I've attached the screenshot of the error.

Did you create the listner and configure the oracle server following help:

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2020R1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Disco-Action-Gather_Oracle_Inv.html

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2020R1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#tasks/disco-Create_Listener_Service.html

Also did you check if port is open from the beacon to oracle server, on specified port that you have in the tnsnames.ora?

As @adrian_ritz1 alluded to earlier, installing the agent is a fair more robust and straightforward approach to gathering inventory than using the remote execution approach you are trying here.

With that said, the "Discovery shows that this device is a Windows or a UNIX device but the rule 'Exadata Machines' does not allow for inventory gathering." message you seeing indicates that the rule you have configured does not have the option to gather general hardware and software inventory (i.e. run ndtrack) selected. As per the screenshot attached to the post at the start of this thread, you only have the option to gather specialized Oracle Database inventory selected.

If you want to run ndtrack to gather general hardware and software inventory (which includes specialized Oracle Database inventory) then select the appropriate option under the "General hardware and software inventory" section and deselect the "Gather Oracle database environment inventory" option.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG and @adrian_ritz1 ,

Thank you so much for all the valuable information. (Apologies for the very delayed response) My issue was fixed after adding the tnsnames.ora file. But for some reason, the data took longer and multiple runs to reflect. I was finally able to see the expected result last week, i.e, execute one day, data reflect the next day.

All the help is much appreciated.