cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVH cloud integration with FNMS cloud

Hi All,

is there any possibility to get collect the OVH cloud inventory using FNMS cloud and any custom integration can be done?

Is this supported by Flexera? Any suggestions and experiences in this regard are much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards,

(8) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Are you looking for inventory data from inside your cloud servers (e.g. with the FNMS Agent) or for data regarding your cloud infrastructure (like what you would get from a vCenter)?

Best regards,

Markward

hi @mfranz ,

I'm exploring ways to gather the Vcenter data which is hosted in cloud using FNMS, is it through the Password manager? or any other procedure required as the Vcenter URL is accessible from internet as its hosted in Public cloud. 

Regards,

Hi,

The requirements should not differ from attaching a vCenter on-prem:

• At least read-only user account on vCenter
  • That user account in Beacon Password Manager
  • Inventory Rule for gathering VMware (including proper Target and Action)
  • Correct Subnet-Beacon-Mapping
  • Working network access (routing, firewalls, etc.)

Best regards,

Markward

Hi @mfranz ,

thanks for the inputs, we have Tried all the above before posting in the community. Main challenge is that the inventory should be collected from the Public cloud to on Prem beacon(FNMS cloud setup) and wondering what will be the integration platform between them as i think we cannot have any rights to collect the data from Cloud unless there is some authentication provided at cloud level and then the relevant access to collect the inventory.

Regards, 

Hi @winvarma,

My understanding is that your Beacon shouldn't make a difference. I am not completely sure what you mean by "public cloud" regarding the vCenter. Is it vCenter as a service?

Best regards,

Markward

Hi @mfranz ,

Yes Vcenter as a service provided by the OVH cloud. As of now agents were not deployed in the servers.

Regards,

Hi @winvarma,

I haven't dealt with such a SaaS solution yet. Are you sure the VMware API is reachable? How can you usually connection to such vCenter? Is there any additional login infrastructure?

Have you thought about trying the esxquery tool? https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/VMware-Stand-alone-Inventory-Agent-for-FlexNet-Manager-Suite/ta-p/114055

Best regards,

Markward

Hello,

If your IaaS is shared infrastructure you are unlikely to be granted read access to vCenter or any other hypervisor technology that is used to deliver the service.

If you have Dedicated infrastructure at the host layer (Dedicated physical hosts, Bare Metal as a Service, etc) you would have the option of licensing and deploying your own VMware vCenter server which you could configure to be inventoried using the standard integration with the beacon. If the service provider continued to provide the hypervisor as part of the service and they retained control of the vCenter server you would need to work with the provider to obtain credentials to connect to the vCenter API if that is something they permit and does not pose any information security risk to you and other customers.

I would deploy FNMS Inventory Agents to each IaaS VM and if required deploy an additional beacon for them to upload inventory to (depends on whether or not you have a private network from the cloud service provider to your on prem beacon server). In the FNMS UI make sure each IaaS VM has the Hosted In location correctly set to the Cloud Service Provider. You may need to take steps to exclude the OSE for those workloads from consuming OS licenses and configure your licenses to be allowed to be used in that cloud service.