Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New licensing rules Microsoft per VM and FNMS

Ronny_OO7
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
Dear Flexera,
I was wondering if  you can tell when FNMS will support licensing Microsoft new rules per VM?
(6) Replies

"With the virtual core licensing option, customers can elect to license Windows Server by the number of virtual cores they use in virtual machines, making Windows Server easier to license when virtualizing or outsourcing."

So customers no longer need to purchase Core Licenses for the physical servers hosting Virtual Machines with Windows Server?

Am I reading that correctly?

Your almost correct, it is a new option/choice: Customer have now the license by VM option

nrousseau1
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hello  @Ronny_OO7 ,

We have made a number of testing and conclusions are interesting:: this licensing is a real win for Microsoft customers... 

Windows Server by VM is always more interesting than taking the 90 peak for the hosts... Here is the result on a mid range estate.

The Windows Server Optimization report will include the per VM licensing in the next Cloud / On Prem version. I will post an article on how to create the right licenses. Yet to be tested but I feel (until Microsoft Management Core on boards this), creating two licenses for Windows Server Std, one with Microsoft Server Core (like SQL Server Standard) with a minimum of 4, and scoping it (as soon as the intelligent license scoping arrives) on VMs should do the job.

In summary, license cost using worst case would be USD9.2 million in perpetual licenses, using the 90 peak was a cost of 5.8 million, the new approach shows a cost on USD5 million.

Stay tuned and thanks for your question.

WindSrv Std New Licensing analysis.png

Hi @nrousseau1 

Thanks for your complete response, this is also the impression we where having as it can save money.   Does that mean we can expect it onpremise in FNMS 2022R1 in Mid December?

Thanks and Regards!

Ronald 

Hi, can you share a plan date for integration this (half year old) licensing rules in the FNMS logic ?

Hi @arjan_leeuwrik,

If I understand your question correctly, I believe the changes discussed were incorporated into the 'Microsoft Windows Server Optimization Report' and 'Microsoft Windows Server Optimization Flat View Report' as referenced here:

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2022R2/EN/Features/index.html#FeatureList/2022R2/RN-chg-OptReportChanges.html

and here:
https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/features/index.html#FeatureList/2022R2/RN-chg-OptReportChanges.html

Regards

Vas