cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Virtual Machine to VM Host using Business Adapter

Hi,

Just want to ask if it is possible to link Virtual Machine to a VM Host using the Business Adapter Studio? I can't seem to find any Virtual machine or VM Host  field in the Business Adapter.

Appreciate any feedback that would be provided.

Many thanks.

(1) Solution
mgunnels
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately you can not Link a virtual machine to  a host via a business adapter. However, check under 'Data Inputs'. Select the 'Inventory tab' click the 'On-off-upload' button. In this section you have templates that can be used to import inventory manually. (Including guest and host relationships.)

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
mgunnels
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately you can not Link a virtual machine to  a host via a business adapter. However, check under 'Data Inputs'. Select the 'Inventory tab' click the 'On-off-upload' button. In this section you have templates that can be used to import inventory manually. (Including guest and host relationships.)

Thanks you so much. Will do try to explore the One-off upload option. Cheers!

If your FNMS is on prem, you can use a Business Import to link VMs to Hosts using SQL (custom query). No option for the cloud though.

Hello,
I was wondering if you were able to successfully match VMs and Hosts using one-off upload.
I am not sure which templates/columns I should actually use to link VM to a host.
I have list of hosts with serial numbers already in fnms. same for VMs.

@mfranz, since we are on prem, can you also advise what tables/columns should be updated. Perhaps it would be easier to configure.

Hi,

I have used the Cluster and Computer templates.

Regarding the columns to be filled for the Computer template.

Here are just some of the columns that I think are important to be included:

ComputerID, ComputerName, SerialNo, HostID, HostComputerID, ClusterID, VirtualMachineType

Hope this helps.

NOTE: I would recommend for you to check out the demo video on Spreadsheet Imports with FNMS.

Hi @JanPie,

This depends on what data you already have in your system. Here is an example:

• You have just a computer (table ComplianceComputer)
  • You'll need to add a "VirtualMachine" entry (table VirtualMachine) matching your computer (both tables are joined using the ComplianceComputerID)
  • Maybe you'll need to update the ComplianceComputerTypeID to 3 (virtual machine)
  • The HostComplianceComputerID would the be the ID of the host

If your source is just a list of VM names and host names, you'll join the data with ComplianceComputer twice, once for VMs, once for hosts and take the ComplianceComputerIDs form there.

Some additional fields might be mandatory, please check the Schema Reference for needed fields. You can try updating the tables directly, but using existing stored procedures might be smarter. Check out VirtualMachinePutBatchByComplianceComputerID, it creates and updates VM data.

Best regards,

Markward