cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I manage a license with multiple owners?

I have a situation were an application is used in 2 different business area and purchased separately.

I need to track the licenses for the single application separately installed across 4 servers. 1 license should tract the application installed on 1 server and the 2nd one for the remaining 3 server.

I tried creating 2 licenses linked to the application and then exempted 3 servers, however the 2nd license linked to the same application created does not show any usage.

(1) Solution

Hi Gopal,

In this scenario, instead of exempting certain servers from consuming a license, a recommended best practice is to:

• Use license scoping (tab "restrictions") for restricting where a license can be used (like by Organizational Unit)
  • Manually allocate your computers (servers) to the license

As you noticed, if you exempt a device from consuming on a software license in FNMS, that device will not consume any other software license that has been configured to use the same application. This means that the device will not show any usage data for the application, too.

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Hi Gopal,

In this scenario, instead of exempting certain servers from consuming a license, a recommended best practice is to:

• Use license scoping (tab "restrictions") for restricting where a license can be used (like by Organizational Unit)
  • Manually allocate your computers (servers) to the license

As you noticed, if you exempt a device from consuming on a software license in FNMS, that device will not consume any other software license that has been configured to use the same application. This means that the device will not show any usage data for the application, too.