cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexnet Inventory Agent is not running on it schedule time in AIX 7.1

Team,

We have found an issue in AIX 7.1 version that agent is not running on schedule time. However , manual Triger of policy update & tracker is working fine without any issue.

Any one have idea if faced the same.

(2) Solutions

I suggest to check if the ndtask service is running on those machines.

If you find a problem with that service maybe following existing discussion could help you:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Forum/Ndtask-Service-not-Getting-automatic-start-post-Server-Reboot/m-p/263494#M16806

View solution in original post

The following known issue could explain agent processes not running as expected on some Linux platforms if version 2022 R2.4 (19.4) or later of the agent is being used: Systemd .service files included in all Linux installers results in agent daemons not starting after reboot on systems that support pre-systemd style daemons

Some troubleshooting steps to understand whether this particular issue might be affecting you are:

1. Verify the ndtask and mgsusageag services are running:
    ps aux | grep -E '(ndtask|mgsusageag)'
  2. Check whether the ndtask service is disabled:
    systemctl status ndtask

If it is disabled, run the following commands to enable and start relevant services:
    systemctl enable ndtask
    systemctl start ndtask
    systemctl enable mgsusageag
    systemctl start mgsusageag
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(10) Replies

I am seeing this with a CentOS 7 machine.  The agent installed fine, it appears to have received its policy and schedule without incident, but the agent does not automatically run during the defined window. Unfortunately I don't have a solution at this time.  As a first step, we just tried reinstalling the agent to see if that helps but I won't know whether this was successful for another day.

--Mark

I suggest to check if the ndtask service is running on those machines.

If you find a problem with that service maybe following existing discussion could help you:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Forum/Ndtask-Service-not-Getting-automatic-start-post-Server-Reboot/m-p/263494#M16806

Yes, You are correct. Service found inactive when have checked. We will check with unix administrator for reason.

The following known issue could explain agent processes not running as expected on some Linux platforms if version 2022 R2.4 (19.4) or later of the agent is being used: Systemd .service files included in all Linux installers results in agent daemons not starting after reboot on systems that support pre-systemd style daemons

Some troubleshooting steps to understand whether this particular issue might be affecting you are:

1. Verify the ndtask and mgsusageag services are running:
    ps aux | grep -E '(ndtask|mgsusageag)'
  2. Check whether the ndtask service is disabled:
    systemctl status ndtask

If it is disabled, run the following commands to enable and start relevant services:
    systemctl enable ndtask
    systemctl start ndtask
    systemctl enable mgsusageag
    systemctl start mgsusageag
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I'll check this out, thank you.  FYI, My version of the agent is 2022R1 pulled from FNMS 2022R1 on-prem.

--Mark

I checked this out.  In my case, neither ndtask nor mgsusageag was disabled.  Everything looked OK.  Nothing in the logs to indicate there's an issue; simply no updates in tracker.log because it didn't run.  All other logs have yesterday's or today's date.

--Mark

@mfeinman - can you check if system was rebooted & after that agent was showing this behavior.

@durgeshsingh  -That system automatically shuts down every evening at 5pm.  So yes, the agent continued to show this behaviour even after being shut down.

@mfeinman , Have you considered the inventory scanning schedule against the uptime of the server?  We had a situation where devices were shut down on a schedule at 5pm and brought back up at 9am the next morning.  Our former schedule was 8pm +12 hours so the servers were never up during that window of time and "Run last missed event" was not selected.  We had to extend our Inventory Agent scanning schedule to ensure it covered the times the server would be up.  

@darren_haehnel , yes, I considered that.  The agent schedule is daily starting at 10:30am with a 6 hour window (to 4:30pm), so the server is up during the entire window.

--Mark