cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMS DB restored to Dev / Test

Hi Team,

Would like to understand if we can have the FNMS DB copied and used by a Secondary Core server where the Core server name and beacon are different than the initial FNMS core server. I know that FNMS supports DB server name changes with a little amount of tweaks.

However, the ask here is to use the same DB for multiple instances of FNMS i.e. Prod DB copied to Test / Dev Core servers and use the Prod DB for Dev / QA purposes.

I have reviewed the Moving DB server PDF that talks about four scenarios, looking forward for more implementation issues one will run into if we copy the Prod DB and attach it to Dev / Test servers that have a different hostname.

Regards
Bhanu
(8) Replies
I am using FNMS 2015 and above. I refresh my test database before every release upgrade.

It isn't perfect because there are remnants from production in the database that I can't remove especially compliance connections details but it doesn't seem to have have an impact.

I only refresh the DB prior to completing a system upgrade. I stop all Flexera services, disable all scheduled task, and stop Web Services first. I grad screenshots of the Beacon configuration screens because some of this data is stored in the DB and you will have to reconfigure the Inventory Systems and maybe Parent Connections before bringing the application back up.

After restoring the database I complete the entire FNMS upgrade process including database upgrade. I then recomplete all the configuration steps and assuring the urls and folders are pointing to my test system.
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Key steps to do once the compliance database from one FlexNet Manager Suite instance has been restored to be used by another instance are:
[LIST=1]
  • Run the Config.ps1 script to apply configuration settings as appropriate for the new instance
  • Review and update inventory data source connection details in the beacon UI
  • Review and update any remaining connection details in the dbo.ComplianceConnection table in the database; this will at least include the Data Warehouse connection details (this requires you to manipulate data directly in the database - there is no FlexNet Manager Suite UI for this)
  • Configure & register beacons in the new instance environment

Chris @ Flexera
  • (Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
    Thanks for your help on this Chris. Will work on this and keep the thread posted.

cgrinton wrote:
    Key steps to do once the compliance database from one FlexNet Manager Suite instance has been restored to be used by another instance are:
    [LIST=1]
  • Run the Config.ps1 script to apply configuration settings as appropriate for the new instance
  • Review and update inventory data source connection details in the beacon UI
  • Review and update any remaining connection details in the dbo.ComplianceConnection table in the database; this will at least include the Data Warehouse connection details (this requires you to manipulate data directly in the database - there is no FlexNet Manager Suite UI for this)
  • Configure & register beacons in the new instance environment

Chris @ Flexera
  • Do we need to run Config.ps1 in the DB server?

Cause, if we have multi-server environment and in that DB as separate server.

Do we need to run Config.ps1 script in DB server post restore of PROD DBs into QA and then the other changes?

Also to test an upgrade, do we need to restore all the DBs or FNMSInventory, FNMSCompliance and FNMSDataWarehouse should be enough into QA from PROD?

The Config.ps1 script would normally be run on the FNMS application server, not the database server. Check the FlexNet Manager Suite Installation Guide for information about that script.

Which databases to restore will depend on your exact scenario and use case, but restoring all the FNMSInventory, FNMSCompliance and FNMSDataWarehouse databases would be common.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
    Hi Chris, Is this solution for Instance name change or even for just the Data in the instance is being restored with the PROD DB's? Cause I see the same instance name in all server's registry even after restoring the DB from PROD to QA. only the difference I observed is of, connection details in the complianceconnection table.
    Yes, changing the instance name of a SQL Server instance would require similar changes to database server configuration details in the registry and database tables as when a database is moved from one FlexNet Manager Suite instance to another.
    (Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
    mfranz
    By Level 17 Champion
    Level 17 Champion

Hi Bhanu,

Moving databases between stages DEV/UAT/PROD, is done by some of our customers. The act of restoring a copy to a test environment itself pretty straight forward. A few things to consider:

• Make sure that no batch processes and business imports are running on the production DB when taking backups. You may as well check the DEV environment that no processes are running that could interfere with the restore.
    • You may want to change existing compliance connections when they refer to FNMS databses, e.g. make the "FlexNet Manager Suite" connection refer to the DEV inventory DB where it originally was the PROD inventory DB. This can directly be done in the "ComplianceConnection" table , e.g. with a script.
    • Update the batch processor in the "BatchProcessor" table.
    • Running the PowerShell FNMS configuration scripts may address some of the items above, but probably not all.

Best regards,

Markward