Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfranz
Analyst

FNMS 2019 R1 Update 5 - some thoughts

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've tested Update 5 in two systems now and I would like to share some thoughts.

• There seems to be no Online Help for the new "Evidence" tab yet, so part of this is guessing. Please feel free to correct me.
    Edit: Online help is updated, please see comments below.
  • There is a chance to see duplicate entries when using default columns and filtering. From what I can see, the grid shows both, raw evidence and the matching recognition rule(s). One evidence may trigger multiple rules, so when pulling in additional columns, it becomes a bit clearer what is happening.
  • Also I noticed there were no "KB" type Windows updates in the list. I guess this is by filtering out evidences linked to recognition rules set to "ignored". So that is to be understood and kept in mind when using this new function.
    Edit: Ignored data is shown, there is other filtering going on.
    Edit: Double checked, all data is showing.

Comments welcome.

Best regards,

Markward

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Flexera mrichardson
Flexera

Re: FNMS 2019 R1 Update 5 - some thoughts

Jump to solution

Hi Markward,

Thanks for the feedback, in summary the answers to your questions are:

1. Correct, online help is not provided with hotfixes typically but is in the upcoming 2019 R2, you can also access the cloud online help on helpnet - https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Dev-EvidTab.html
  2. We covered the duplicates scenario in the online help, you've picked up on one but there are others so I'd recommend reading the page above.
  3. This is a yes and no answer; we didn't explicitly exclude these evidence types, in fact we made sure that Ignored evidence is included and there is a column to show this.  That being said, there is other functionality within FNMS that does hide these and we didn't make any changes to this.  If you think it would be a useful addition, please raise a case asking for an enhancement request with the specific use cases you want covering and we'll review it.

The only caveat to using the cloud online help is that it will reference file path which is not in the On-Premises hotfix, this will be in 2019 R2 however involves schema changes and other dependencies that would have made it risky to add to the On-Premises hotfix for multiple versions so I made the decision to exclude it however it's there for Cloud and will be there in 2019 R2.

Thanks for trying out this new feature and for providing the feedback, it is appreciated and would love to hear more of your experiences with it once you've tried it out some more.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Flexera mrichardson
Flexera

Jump to solution

Hi Markward,

Thanks for the feedback, in summary the answers to your questions are:

1. Correct, online help is not provided with hotfixes typically but is in the upcoming 2019 R2, you can also access the cloud online help on helpnet - https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Dev-EvidTab.html
  2. We covered the duplicates scenario in the online help, you've picked up on one but there are others so I'd recommend reading the page above.
  3. This is a yes and no answer; we didn't explicitly exclude these evidence types, in fact we made sure that Ignored evidence is included and there is a column to show this.  That being said, there is other functionality within FNMS that does hide these and we didn't make any changes to this.  If you think it would be a useful addition, please raise a case asking for an enhancement request with the specific use cases you want covering and we'll review it.

The only caveat to using the cloud online help is that it will reference file path which is not in the On-Premises hotfix, this will be in 2019 R2 however involves schema changes and other dependencies that would have made it risky to add to the On-Premises hotfix for multiple versions so I made the decision to exclude it however it's there for Cloud and will be there in 2019 R2.

Thanks for trying out this new feature and for providing the feedback, it is appreciated and would love to hear more of your experiences with it once you've tried it out some more.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

View solution in original post

mfranz
Analyst

Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

Thanks for you elaborate answer. The Cloud online help is very helpful.

I should have seen the "Ignored" column and concluded that not everything ignored is hidden. I think it makes sense to clean up the presentation a bit. Just out of curiosity, can you give me a hint how it is filtered? Is it a view, procedure or a function in the database?

Best regards,

Markward

Flexera mrichardson
Flexera

Jump to solution

Hi @mfranz ,

We did some testing on our side and can see the KB type installer entries in the Evidence tab on our test system so I'm not sure why these are not showing for you.

We checked both evidences that were assigned to an application (which showed up as Ignored) and those that were not.

0 Kudos
ronaldschreur
Intrepid explorer

Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

In my case.

Is see fault positives on Oracle database 11G.  I noticed that they are coming from OUI and have an inventory date from 7 Jan 2017.  According to the online help Inventory date means: 

Inventory date

The most recent date this evidence was detected on this inventory device.

Since my device itself has an Inventory date from 30-09-2019 why is this Oracle Database software that is detected on 7 Jan 2017 still being reported?

Is this perhaps related to the agent bug with OUI evidence issue?

Regards

Ronald

0 Kudos