cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Does Flexera agent has self-housekeeping feature to clean up agent logs if older than xxx days ?

Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

Hello Team

I am wondering if Flexera agent itself has feature to delete/remove the agent related log if it's older than xxx days?

Most of the Agent preference related to log LogFileOld/LogFileSize etc but doesn't seem to have Delete feature here.

If it's true, What's the disk space we should recommend to reserve for agent installed machine for a three years ETA of Log folder size?

What does your client use if they need a regular housekeep agent logs process ? 

Thanks in advance if you can share your thoughts.

Best Regards

Kev

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The agent doesn't have the ability to delete logs after a set number of days - logs are only rotated & deleted as they grow to the maximum size as specified by LogFileSize preferences.

When the main log file (as specified by the in LogFile preference for the component in question) reaches the maximum size specified by the corresponding LogFileSize preference, the file is renamed to the name specified by the LogFileOld preference. This overwrites any existing LogFileOld file. A new log file is then created to contain further logging.

For disk space, allow LogFileSize * 2 (for both the current and previous log) for each agent component that is running. In practice, that will typically be up to about 40MB (give or take a few MB).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The agent doesn't have the ability to delete logs after a set number of days - logs are only rotated & deleted as they grow to the maximum size as specified by LogFileSize preferences.

When the main log file (as specified by the in LogFile preference for the component in question) reaches the maximum size specified by the corresponding LogFileSize preference, the file is renamed to the name specified by the LogFileOld preference. This overwrites any existing LogFileOld file. A new log file is then created to contain further logging.

For disk space, allow LogFileSize * 2 (for both the current and previous log) for each agent component that is running. In practice, that will typically be up to about 40MB (give or take a few MB).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks for the Answer Chris,

do you have further details on this - I could only find 1 entry in windows Registry for the policy - or does this control all log file sizes?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Policy Client\CurrentVersion]

"LogFileSize"="4000000"

##

recently we have seen some issues that e.g  installation.old.log got 19GB!! causing system trouble (this is OnPrem 2021R1) - thanks - Steffen

The LogFileSize preference can be set for various FlexNet inventory agent components. The preference defaults to 4,000,000 [bytes] for any component where a value is not explicitly specified in the registry or elsewhere. These preferences are detailed under the following page: The FlexNet Inventory Agent > Preferences

If a single process generates a large amount of logging without terminating then a log file may potentially grow larger before it is rotated, but 19GB for an installation component log file sounds excessive! It sounds like something unusual is happening with a process there to generate such a large file.

jasonlu
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

I haven't seen that functionality built into the agent.

In my experience I haven't had a need to manage the log file size. For laptops/workstations, the life of the computer is shorter than what would ever cause any issues.

For servers, you could consider changing the default location for the log folder with the LogFile setting, but even here I've not bothered.

A potentially bigger problem could be if you turned on tracing for an agent, and then forgot to turn it off. I've done that, and had it fill up whatever drive it was dumping to.

j

Thank you Jason ...hope all well šŸ™‚

Kev

Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

Thank you for the quick response Chris