cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define Machines to Target By Operating System: Is This Possible?

Hi all ...

When you create a target through the UI, you're limited to the following choices:

tempo.png

(I'm running FNMS on-prem 2022 R1).

I have a need to target machines by operating system.  Specifically, my use case is - if the OS is Linux, disable usage tracking.  None of the choices above fit this use case.

Can a rule be set up through the "back end" through the use of SQL statements that would allow me to set up a target by operating system?

Have any of you had to target computers by operating system, and if so, how did you resolve this?

--Mark

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Mark,

If you want to go for specific devices, BeaconTargetDiscoveredDeviceMapping_MT is what your need to look at. Site and Subnet mappings have their own tables. Let's stick with DiscoveredDevices, here is a simple statement to see the current targets with assigned devices:

SELECT *
FROM BeaconTarget_MT bt
JOIN BeaconTargetDiscoveredDeviceMapping_MT btddm
	ON bt.BeaconTargetID = btddm.BeaconTargetID
JOIN DiscoveredDevice dd
	ON btddm.DeviceID = dd.DeviceID

As you may have noticed, these are not ComplianceComputers, but you you could easily join them via the Computer column, say if you wanted to filter by something more complex than just OS. From there, I think, it's rather simple to add any wanted mappings to the BeaconTargetDiscoveredDeviceMapping_MT  table, but keep in mind you need to use the DiscoveredDeviceID, not the ComplianceComputerID. You could do it with a small business import with custom queries. If you want to be really fancy, do include a Delete-step to remove devices no longer needed in your target.

Untested alternative: If you ever played around with the file scan options, there's also a default Unix target, that you don't see in the WebUI:

image.png

You could disable the usage agent in you test target to see what it does in the DB (see BeaconTargetPropertyValue_MT). Then try to assign that setting to the default Unix target:

Screenshot 2023-07-27 173306.png

Best regards,

Markward

Very interesting @mfranz ... I'll have a look at this.  Thank you!

--Mark