cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Quality - Core Count

Hi all experienced Flexerers,

Did any of you have some issues with reporting Computers and VM Hosts Core Counts?

In fact, we have FlexNet Manager installed on our Servers  which report - among other inventories - Processors and Cores Counts as well as the Processor's models.  When performing some Quality checks, we figured out that many of the Core counts were wrong, which was adjusted based on CPU datasheets. Is there a means to correct this from the source, i.e. to make the agents reporting them right?

Thanks

Wael

(6) Replies
tbesse
By
Flexera Alumni

Hi Wael,

Can you add some details on how you are collecting the data? Are you suing FlexNet agents or another discovery tool?

Also, the core counts as well as the hosting infrastructure are normally derived by connecting to the vCenter from a Beacon remotely.

Thank you,
Thorsten

Senior Solution Architect in the SE team
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)

It is common for [unpatched] Windows Server 2003 computers to report incorrect processor details, as described in the following Microsoft KB article: The number of physical hyperthreading-enabled processors or the number of physical multicore processors is incorrectly reported in Windows Server 2003.

I can't think of other operating systems that have particular problems reporting correct processor or core counts. What operating system(s) are running on the servers you are have problems with? Knowing the operating systems may allow somebody to identify what system calls or information FlexNet is using to gather the counts.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

The Windows Server 2003 and lower versions do not exceed 10% of Servers. Others are from 2008 to 2016. In fact, some of them are correctly reporting (with FlexNet Manager's agents) but not all of them.

Best regards,
Wael

The following PowerShell statement will retrieve the details that the FlexNet agent uses to retrieve processor (chip) and core counts on Windows computers:

Get-WMIObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem |
Select "NumberOfProcessors", "NumberOfLogicalProcessors"

You could try running these statements on selected computers and compare that to what FlexNet is showing to get insight into whether there is a problem in what is being reported by Windows, or in FlexNet's processing of that data.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, we are using FlexNet Manager's agents. The problem is rather about Hyper-V servers.

Best regards,
Wael

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Wael,

We have implemented a data quality import for Intel CPUs, comparing FNMS data to Intel Ark CPU data. Unfortunately the Intel API, providing the data, was discontinued (http://odata.intel.com). I cannot find any details regarding the successor.

Theoretically such approch could be used to update existing data in FNMS. Also couldn't Data Platform be used to get proper core data based on CPU names?

Best regards,

Markward