cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Oracle Java question - Java Platform 5 and JDK 5

So, I was looking at unlicensed applications and noticed that there are now two Java Licenses that I hadn't considered before:  Java Platform 5 Standard and Java Development Kit 5 Standard. I can't find anything anywhere about Java 5 being licensed. Java 6 is where Oracle's documentation starts. Any help here would be appreciated. I'm attaching a Java document we got from Oracle.

And don't even get me started complaining about the way Flexera combined all of the versions into one application. Ugh. I can't even.....

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.
(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You may find the "Table of Java 5 updates" in the middle of the following Wikipedia page helpful: Java version history

As per that table, Java 5 updates 23 and later are not publicly available (and require an Oracle Technology Network license). Earlier updates are publicly available (and don't require a paid license for commercial use).

The FlexNet Manager Suite ARL distinguishes these differences based on the relevant Java  5 application name & classification:

• Applications with "(Public)" in their name correspond to updates 22 and earlier, and are classified as "Freeware",
  • Applications without "(Public)" in their name correspond to update 23 and later, and are classified as "Commercial"

image.png

Be aware that accurate detection of Java build numbers on UNIX-like operating systems typically requires inventory gathered by the FlexNet inventory agent. Other inventory gathering tools typically don't gather data with sufficient fidelity to identify the build number, and hence it can be difficult to distinguish between commercial and freeware installations.

For reference, here are a couple of other related posts within Flexera Community:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You may find the "Table of Java 5 updates" in the middle of the following Wikipedia page helpful: Java version history

As per that table, Java 5 updates 23 and later are not publicly available (and require an Oracle Technology Network license). Earlier updates are publicly available (and don't require a paid license for commercial use).

The FlexNet Manager Suite ARL distinguishes these differences based on the relevant Java  5 application name & classification:

• Applications with "(Public)" in their name correspond to updates 22 and earlier, and are classified as "Freeware",
  • Applications without "(Public)" in their name correspond to update 23 and later, and are classified as "Commercial"

image.png

Be aware that accurate detection of Java build numbers on UNIX-like operating systems typically requires inventory gathered by the FlexNet inventory agent. Other inventory gathering tools typically don't gather data with sufficient fidelity to identify the build number, and hence it can be difficult to distinguish between commercial and freeware installations.

For reference, here are a couple of other related posts within Flexera Community:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)