cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AWS ,and Azure capabilities

Hi I have a customer looking to see when FNMS will be able to collect this infomation below. Is it in the road map for future releases.

1. Ability to collect SQL Server 2017 in docker container
  2. AWS RDS for SQL Server / Oracle will also have licenses / subscriptions
  3. We deployed Apache Airflow docker 
  4. On AWS: S3 buckets, DynamoDB tables, EMR clusters, RedShift clusters all that is software inventory 

Thanks,

Steve

(12) Replies

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your questions. We are actively working to improve our capabilities in the areas you mentioned. I will contact you to get more details on this.

Thank you,

Pratul.

We also have a customer that wants to manage  AWS RDS for Oracle using the BYOL option.  Were there any capabilities towards this end in the recent 2019R2 release?   If not, are there any recommendations on how to manage the inventory gathering for AWS RDS for Oracle given that you cannot deploy an FNMS inventory agent? 

AWS and Azure offer largely the same basic capabilities around flexible compute, storage, networking and pricing. Both share the common elements of a public cloud – autoscaling, self-service, pay-as-u-go pricing, security, compliance, identity access management features and instant provisioning prepaidgiftbalance

Thanks for the reply.  However, I'm looking for more concrete information regarding handling a AWS Oracle RDS BYOL license management scenario using FNMS.    Typically you would either deploy the FNMS agent into the target Oracle DB server and gather software/hardware/oracle inventory.  For VMs, you'd also have to get the physical hardware inventory typically through the hypervisor. 

In the case of Oracle RDS in AWS, you cannot deploy an FNMS inventory agent because the oracle database is provided as a service.   I am assuming that you could do a remote Oracle inventory from the beacon via the RDS listener (this is an unconfirmed assumption).   But this would still leave the problem of determining the vCores used for the Oracle RDS services in question.    In other words,  FNMS needs the number of vCores to calculate an Oracle DB license position for Oracle Databases running in the cloud.    How would this be accomplished?

One idea might be to ask the customer to tell us the AWS EC2 instance type (e.g. t1.micro, t2.small), using this information from amazon, https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/physicalcores/, we could then create a inventory spreadsheet and upload it into FNMS as hardware evidence.   However, this is quite tedious and we're looking for a more elegant, automated solution.

I have no RDS to test against, but it might be possible to get enough data to build/extend the AWS adapter. Database type, clusters, cores and if license is byol.
This would be a nice addition to the 2019r2 aws connector

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/powershell/latest/reference/items/Get-RDSDBInstance.html

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/sdkfornet/v3/apidocs/index.html?page=RDS/TRDSDBInstance.html&tocid=Amazon_RDS_Model_DBInstance

Actually, your post has reminded me there is already an AWS connector.   Perhaps it is able to gather the RDS inventory (core) information as well.  Can someone in the community comment? 

With the current connector it’s not covering RDS, but I would assume Flexera will extend with this functionality since the commands exists within powershell

I found this post as I also have a customer trying to monitor their Oracle BYOL requirements for RDS on AWS. Does Flexera have a formal, recommended solution? This post from ~1 year ago is the latest I can find here on the community...

Hi Everyone,

Oracle BYOL support will be available to FNMS Cloud customers as part of the next cloud deployment and FNMS OnPrem as part of the next OnPrem release.

Regards!
Aamer

Hello, has this been released? which version of FNMS supports it?

@krystel_campos 

It was released with 2020 R2.3 (Cloud/SaaS) and 2021 R1 (on-premise), please refer to Oracle Database inventory in Amazon RDS for BYOL 

Thanks,

Get-RDSDBInstance Cmdlet returns information about provisioned RDS instances. This API supports pagination. This operation can also return information for Amazon Neptune DB instances and Amazon DocumentDB instances. This cmdlet automatically pages all available results to the pipeline - parameters related to iteration are only needed if you want to manually control the paginated output. To disable auto pagination, use -NoAutoIteration. AWS Lambda is an event-driven, serverless computing platform provided by Amazon as a part of Amazon Web Services. It is a computing service that runs code in response to events and automatically manages the computing resources required by that code.  On AWS: S3 buckets, DynamoDB tables, EMR clusters, RedShift clusters all that is software inventory.