cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AWS EC2 "Hosted In" column field is showing "on-premise" by FlexNet Inventory agent

Hi Flexera team,

The user has installed flexera agent on AWS EC2 server. However on the inventory property page , it shows that it is hosted in "on-premises".

Since their Flexnet inventory agent version is 18, according to technote below, it should be automatically set to "Amazon web services". https://docs.flexera.com/flexera/EN/ITAssets/Dev-General_tab.htm

----

Hosted in value is set automatically through inventory (AWS is supported from >version 13.1.0 of Inventory Agent, and Azure is supported from version 13.2.0)

----

As workaround, the user has updated inventory information and now hosted in param is set to "Amazon web services". So guessing it was some issue with timing.  If this issue happens again, would changing the param manually cause any problem?
Thanks in advance.

(5) Replies

I've seen that pretty often.  I ended up creating a business adapter to handle fixing this value.  Usually if the serial number starts with "ec2", the machine is AWS even if "hosted in" says "On Prem".

--Mark

Thanks Mark for the reply, I can ask the user to try the way you mentioned too..did you referred to any documentation for the step you done? if so can share it for reference.

And so there shouldn't cause any issue changing the param manually..?

Thanks much in advance.

No, we didn't refer to any specific documentation when we implemented this.  It was a pattern that we noticed was true much of the time.

--Mark

You might be running into the limitation of earlier FNMS agents that did not support IMDSv2 .  Support for IMDSv2 was added in the 2023 R2 release of the FNMS agent (search for IMDSv2 on the following page):  FlexNet Inventory Agent Change Log (SaaS)(On-Premises) (flexera.com)

You'll be able to tell from the tracker.log whether you are hitting this issue (search for attempts to connect to the AWS metadata service).

Thank you that's another good point for the next thing to be checked.
Apart from that, I guess it would also be good to check the ndi to see if the MGS_AWSComputerSystem object exists as that controls the Hosted In value:

https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/InvAdapConn/index.html#adapters/AWS/topics/ExtraInvFromAWS.html

Thanks all for your input:)

Best regards and Cheers.