cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARL import running LONG time (not completing)

Hello,

We have 3 environments (DEV, BETA, PROD). The ARL import runs in all 3. It completed just fine in 2 of our environments. However, in my DEV environment, it still shows "running" in the System Tasks for 2/11 (last night).

Is there an easy way to kill this process and run it again? 

Couple notes:
Our Recognition data import scheduled task runs daily at night in all 3 environments.
It ran fine every day up until 2/11.
The 2/11 run, looks like 2 of the 3 completed, but I can't tell which part is still running.

Also, I'm also trying to look for any log files and not finding any using the documentation provided.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

(1) Solution

I reran the scheduled task and it completed just fine. Weird that it was hung up for hours.

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

You can find logs on the App server/batch processor by default in %ProgramData%\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\Content

The logs in here could give some insight into what is causing the problem. Depending on exactly where it is at in processing, it may not be the cleanest task to kill. You can see if there is anything being processed by the batch processor with .\BatchProcessTaskConsole.exe list-tasks ( located by default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\DotNet\bin). The scheduled process is being run through the shodowhost.exe, and there could be more than one task being run from this. If this was previously working fine, then I would check a few things that could impact this, like if security software may be involved, like an AV scan occurring during this task. If it is at the stage that it is writing to the DB, then it could also be a performance issue on the SQL server, especially if other jobs are running at that time. 

Thanks for pointing me the logs. The knowledge docs out there didn't point me there. Also, at one time I had it documented they were under %temp% but that has since changed. I looked in the Compliance logs earlier, but was looking for ARL and didn't even think to look under Content. Great note!!! Thank you!

I'm actually just going to manually run the task again and see if that helps!

You can also run the executable responsible directly, sometimes this will give a much better output than the logs and we do often recommend this for troubleshooting. This would just involve running MgsImportRecognition.exe, without any switches. This will be located by default in:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\DotNet\bin

I reran the scheduled task and it completed just fine. Weird that it was hung up for hours.

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Jason,

I usually don't mind if the ARL import is stuck for a day or two. In most cases it will work again later. So is it a one-time issue or has not been working for a longer period?

Also DEV environments may feature less powerfull servers. Does the DEV environment database server have less memory or CPU capacity than BETA or PROD?

Best regards,

Markward

It usually runs just fine on our DEV environment so memory and CPU shouldn't be an issue.

This is the first time it has hung since we upgraded from 2018 R2 to 2019 R2. I don't think that is the issue as it has been running fine.

Thanks for the reply!