cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ServiceNow Integration for Record Keeping Only

A net new customer is looking to integrate App Broker with ServiceNow, but only in a way that will create tickets in SN for record keeping purposes. They want App Broker to server as the front and back end tool for software requests, but would still like the requests to create a ticket in ServiceNow so they can have all of the information in one place (SN). Has this been done before and if so are there any recommendations on how to perform this integration?

(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, if I'm understanding this correctly, this should be pretty straight forward.. First, go to ServiceNow integration in App Portal, and register your ServiceNow instance. Once you have done this, select the "Create Default ITSM Operations" button (You should not need to configure any of the other settings). This will create the Create Incident and Create Request operations (I'm assuming you want to use one of these).. Once you have created the default operations, you can either add them as an action to the onSubmit() action on individual catalog items, or you can do this globally under Commands and Actions->Request Commands.. If you do this globally, then the action will fire for all requests. 

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, if I'm understanding this correctly, this should be pretty straight forward.. First, go to ServiceNow integration in App Portal, and register your ServiceNow instance. Once you have done this, select the "Create Default ITSM Operations" button (You should not need to configure any of the other settings). This will create the Create Incident and Create Request operations (I'm assuming you want to use one of these).. Once you have created the default operations, you can either add them as an action to the onSubmit() action on individual catalog items, or you can do this globally under Commands and Actions->Request Commands.. If you do this globally, then the action will fire for all requests. 

In addition to what Charlie mentions for setting up the initial integration and creating the ticket in ServiceNow, you would also need to add actions to the On Success Install, On Success Uninstall, On Fail Install, and On Fail Uninstall events to close the ticket in ServiceNow with the appropriate closure state (e.g. Closed Complete, Closed Incomplete, etc.).  Or if you want to keep the ticket open on failure and create an incident/task to resolve the failure, you could do that, too.  In order to update the ticket after you've created it, you'll need to pass the sys_id value so ServiceNow knows what ticket to update.  As long as you use an ITSM operation (not a generic web service action) to create the ticket, App Portal stores that ID in a variable called ##RECORD_ID##, so you can just specify that variable in the sys_id field for the UPDATE action (if not already there - I don't remember if we configure that by default when creating the default ITSM operations).

One other thing to consider is that most ServiceNow queues (assignment groups) are monitored and acted on, so as part of setting up this integration, you would want to make sure there is an assignment group that you can use that won't be monitored/actioned, since App Portal is already doing the work.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".