cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Categories with Grayed out.

We routinely get questions from our customers related to the font color for categories.   There are some that display as gray and others black.     Is there a reason why some of these are grayed out? 

Thanks.

(1) Solution

I've always hated that behavior and agree that it's unlikely anyone ever requested that behavior.  In any case, for customers that were bothered by it enough to ask, I've always suggested using the CSS styles to make all the categories look the same (as suggested by Charlie above).  However, one slight tweak I would make to Charlie's response is instead of modifying the site.less file, copy that one section for .category-row a into the custom.less file and modify it there.  The site.less file could get overwritten during an upgrade, but we won't touch the custom.less file during upgrade.

Note 1: Make sure you include the !important directive with the color.  This instructs the browser to render this style regardless of other style inheritance rules.

Note 2: You should be able to see the changes take effect simply by hitting Ctrl-F5 in your browser to reload the page from the server without cached content.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(9) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
The black text indicates that the category has child categories.. If the text is gray, then it means that their are no child categories under the category.. Makes perfect sense 🙂

Thanks Charles....  That's interesting information, though still scratching my head on it a bit. 

Hmmmm....perhaps an "enhancement" request is needed... 🙂 

I would be surprised if someone actually asked for that behavior.    

We had complaints when we rolled out App Portal and had the grayed categories. Our users thought they couldn't access the grayed categories so I created a child category under each and called the "Do Not Use" as a workaround.  As long as there are no items in the category it won't show but if you wanted you could lock it down where only admins in a security group have visibility to the category.. 

A quick test tells me that we should be able to do this by using CSS.. If you open the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\Content\site.less, you will see a class named ".category-row a".. To this, try adding "color: black!important;"..

For example:

.category-row a {
display:block;
color: black!important;
}

After saving the file, refresh the browser.. In my case, I actually needed to clear my temporary internet files as well, as the old pages were cached.. 

Charles, I tried this but it didn't seem to change anything.

Just to confirm, you deleted the browsing history/temporary internet files? I tried against both IE and chrome, and this worked for me.. On Chrome, I needed to clear my browsing history for "all time".

I've always hated that behavior and agree that it's unlikely anyone ever requested that behavior.  In any case, for customers that were bothered by it enough to ask, I've always suggested using the CSS styles to make all the categories look the same (as suggested by Charlie above).  However, one slight tweak I would make to Charlie's response is instead of modifying the site.less file, copy that one section for .category-row a into the custom.less file and modify it there.  The site.less file could get overwritten during an upgrade, but we won't touch the custom.less file during upgrade.

Note 1: Make sure you include the !important directive with the color.  This instructs the browser to render this style regardless of other style inheritance rules.

Note 2: You should be able to see the changes take effect simply by hitting Ctrl-F5 in your browser to reload the page from the server without cached content.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
I concur.. Forgot about the "custom" files. Monday mornings......

Jim and Charles, thanks for the info.... This worked for us.