cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC'ing Target Manager on Notification Requirement

I have a requirement to see about configuring the CC property of our License Reclamation notification emails to have the Manager of the Target user of the alert. We have some scenarios where some of our targets do not always check email, and business has asked if we can CC the manager in these scenarios. Of course the Manager is dynamic so I can't statically configure each manager on the email. I've tried to see if App Portal has a property similar to ##Manager## email address but so far no luck in sending email. I know in the WD_User table there is the Manager field but it is more the metadata associated to manager including name, unique identifier, etc. 

1. Is there a list somewhere of what all possible variables App Portal can use for configuring? I know there is like ##TargetUserName##, ##OrderName##, I've also seen you can pull in Question responses into Actions (ex: to push to Workflow Manager project), and so on. What all can App Portal handle? 

2. Any suggestions or similar use cases on how to meet this requirement? 

(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Probably already aware of this 🙂 but your best source of information regarding variables would be to hit the following web service in a browser:

http://localhost/esd/ws/integration.asmx?op=GetResolvedRequestVariables

This will list all available variables for a given request.. This list of variables should be fairly consistent between one request and the next..

I don't think that there is any way to CC a manager on the license reclamation emails. Probably your best bet would be to include a "static" email address on the notification email for the CC address, and have the manager monitor the mail box for the specified email. 

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Probably already aware of this 🙂 but your best source of information regarding variables would be to hit the following web service in a browser:

http://localhost/esd/ws/integration.asmx?op=GetResolvedRequestVariables

This will list all available variables for a given request.. This list of variables should be fairly consistent between one request and the next..

I don't think that there is any way to CC a manager on the license reclamation emails. Probably your best bet would be to include a "static" email address on the notification email for the CC address, and have the manager monitor the mail box for the specified email. 

As Charlie mentioned, there isn't really a way to do this within the product.  However, you could set up a Windows scheduled task that runs a PowerShell script every day (or whatever reminder interval you want).  Then in the PowerShell script, you could read new alerts or all active alerts from the database and send an email to the corresponding manager.  The DB query would look something like this...

SELECT [AlertID]
     ,[FUID]
     ,[RequestID]
     ,[packageID]
     ,[ProductName]
     ,[ProductVersion]
     ,[MachineName]
     ,[AlertType]
     ,[Response]
     ,[RespondedOn]
     ,[NotificationDate]
     ,[NextNotifyDate]
     ,[UniqueUserName]
     ,mgr.[UniqueName] AS [ManagerUniqueUserName]
     ,mgr.[Email] AS [ManagerEmail]
     ,[Expired]
     ,[RequestType]
     ,[LastUsed]
     ,[EditionName]
     ,[PublisherName]
     ,[Classification]
     ,[UpdatedByAPI]
     ,[Uninstalled]
     ,[UninstallStatusMessage]
     ,[UninstallStatusDate]
     ,[Installed]
     ,[InstallStatusMessage]
     ,[InstallStatusDate]
 FROM [AppPortal].[dbo].[WD_MyAppsAlert] maa
 JOIN WD_User u ON maa.UniqueUserName = u.UniqueName
 JOIN WD_User mgr ON u.Manager = mgr.ADSPath
 WHERE Expired=0

For information on how to send email via PowerShell, have a look at this recent post.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".