Highlighted
Flexera Alumni (Retired)

App Portal vs App Broker

Questions: I am confused about App Broker vs App Portal? Which one is for us?

Answer: A lot of people have similar questions regarding the difference between App Portal and App Broker. To begin, let’s understand the history. Flexera has been offering App Portal as an on-prem product since 2011. App Portal is a complete solution for software governance, spend optimization and provides a complete user interface (UI) for employees to complete common tasks, like requesting a software, checking the status, uninstalling an unused software application and more. As more and more IT Service Management (ITSM) products (like ServiceNow) gained popularity in the market, customers began requesting App Portal capabilities using their choice of ITSM solution for the UI.

That’s when App Broker was born in 2016, with the capability to integrate with an ITSM product. Customers using App Broker can now offer the same capabilities to their employees while using the familiar UI of their ITSM solution. App Broker uses application programming interfaces (APIs) to communicate with the ITSM product. Customers can request a license to use the APIs at no additional cost. Although both products offer similar functionalities, there are differences which are documented in the PDF file in this KB Article (Note: download the PDF file in the link for the document).

Question: I heard App Portal is retiring? What’s the scoop? What’s the future?

Answer: The two separate on-prem products, App Portal and App Broker, will both remain as-is and supported just like they are today. We will continue to maintain and support them for the foreseeable future. Both the products will continue to get updates just as they do today.

Meanwhile, in line with the industry and customer demand, Flexera is working on a SaaS version of App Broker which is hosted on the cloud. The SaaS version will simply be called App Broker Cloud with the option to use App Broker UI, also hosted on the cloud. The SaaS version is built completely from scratch, offering a modern UI and the latest micro-services architecture to facilitate easier product extensions, customizations and integration with other Flexera products.

Expected availability:
App Broker Cloud: Q4 2019
App Broker UI Cloud: Q1 2020

Have more questions? We will use this online community space to answer questions on App Portal, App Broker and upcoming SaaS releases. We will continue to provide release notes here as well. We recommend customers subscribe to this category for ongoing updates as well as participate in our forums

Tags (2)
10 Replies
Highlighted
Flexera beginner

Re: App Portal vs App Broker

could someone provide me the installation document for app broker for service now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

@sempra123 , all product documentation can be found on HelpNet.  You can also get there by selecting Documentation from the Other Resources menu in the navigation bar of this website.  Once on the HelpNet site, select App Portal / App Broker as the Product and then select your desired version (e.g. 2019 R1) from the Version drop-down.  You'll see a few different guides and release notes (including the Installation Guide) available as both browsable HTML and downloadable PDF formats.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional contributor

"The SaaS version is built completely from scratch, offering a modern UI and the latest micro-services architecture to facilitate easier product extensions, customizations and integration with other Flexera products." 

Question. Will these changes be coming to the on-prem version? If so, when?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flexera Alumni (Retired)

Hi @chaurets, the SaaS / Cloud version of App Broker will replace the on-prem version. Having said that, the on-prem version will continue to be supported and get updates based on customer demands and requirements but could potentially differ from the updates the SaaS version gets. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos