cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to use for the 1sst time - error

Hi

I just downloaded the demo version.

Now I am trying to repackage a setup.exe app using MS hyper-V client.

I installed a fully updated XP sp3 image and then started a 'Application conversion project Wizard'.

created a new project
Chose to browse for the setup file. It adds 2 files (there are more in the folder of course, but only 2 .exe files):
1. setup.exe
2. _isdel.exe

I add this, click next, it shows that the 2 exe files have been added and they're ticked. There's a note saying 'Requires repackaging'.
I click Next
I choose Hyper-V
I enter the server name like: WIN-JEQIDHCUIMT

no backslashes or anything else.

I choose windows authentication
I select the virtual machine
I enter the SERVER's credentials (my administrator account)

I select 'virtualize packages with detected settings
click next
select a msi package (i need this to deploy via another program) a msi file is my goal if I can get it to work.
I leave the default path
Next
Select the platform
next
finish

And I get an error almost instantly.

I haven't done anything else .. I think... I haven't repackaged it in anyway, or done anything..

Can it be a connection problem to the client VM?

(20) Replies
MichaelU
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
It looks like the snapshot named AutoRepack_Base doesn't exist on your virtual machine. Can you either create this snapshot, or change the option in AAC for this virtual machine to use a snapshot name that exists on your VM?
hi Michael.

I select a virtual machine via the selection screen. I select the 1 VM I created for this purpose.

The Autorepack_base is something I did not create.
I've read a guide here:

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/doc/DocumentRepository/Installation/AdminStudio/AdminStudio%209.5/01_Public/Product%20Manual/AACUserGuide.pdf

Which mentions having to run some VM prepare thing? :

Preparing Your Virtual Machines for Use With the
Automated Application Converter

I cannot find this option in admin studion 10?

Is there something that I am missing? I tried another application just to check, and same error occurs.
Hi There,

In AdminStudio 10, this should be here:

C:\Program Files\AdminStudio\10.0\Repackager\VirtualMachinePrep\VMCfg.exe

Don't forget to power down the machine before taking the snapshot as well. (I always seem to forget to do this)

Regards,
hi cary.

thanks..

when you say power down etc.. you do mean in hyperV right? not in Adminstudio..?

I will try this tomorrow @ work!
That's correct. The VM Image needs to be powered down when taking the 'AutoRepack_Base' snapshot.
thanks Cary.

It's always been powered down, but I did create a manual snapshot.. Maybe I should remove that..
hi

Well, I've actually made progress...

I am now connecting to the Hyper-V machine.
I installed the agent, and that helped alot! 🙂

So now I am trying to repackage via AAC..

I've selected a .exe setup file and started the process.. and it's actually starting up,.. but it hangs... at the 'copy in' nothing happens...
it just sits there....

What could be wrong? I assume the agent took care of anything that needed to be turned off etc?
Anti-virus won't be automatically disabled, nor do I think the agent creates firewall rules or disables the firewall. So I would recommend doing so in the snapshot.

There's a couple of things you can look at to see what the issue is, though. Since the agent gets the files via NetBIOS session, you can get the IP address from the image while it's powered up, and see if you can log onto the C$ or ADMIN$ share successfully.

Also, there's a command line tool you can use for some debugging as well called "testvirtualmachine.exe". If the NetBIOS logon fails for some reason, you can use the Event Viewer to check for failed logon events in the Security log (although the logon audit policy is not enabled by default, so you might need to turn this on as well).
hm, I can't seem to connect to any of the shares via net use...

though just going to 'network' on my server does show the VM .. but there's no shares in the folder location.

I checked and the agent already turned off the firewall..

when I start the conversion it starts up xp, logs on and then the agent just sits there' ready' and nothing else happens.

I cannot shut down aac at all before I manually shut down the VM.

I turned on the login logs but nothing there that stands out...

And I've tested the 'testvirtualmachine.exe' route... I think I used the correct syntax, but can't seem to get anything through.. I can't startup the image, or anything else...
just says 'The operation has failed for some error'

I haven't been able to find a manual for the tool, nor ANY reference online at all.. 😞
using the testtool I type:

testvirtualmachine [Hyper-V] "C:\1\XP Admin Studio Client.vhd"

And I've tried several other alternatives... but nothing seems to work.. the menu of the tool just loads and I can select the different tasks.. which do nothing..
TestVirtualMachine.exe is indeed undocumented. I've used it with VMWare images before, but possibly it doesn't support other types.

I would try hitting the \\host\C$ share and see if you can get in using the account credentials you're providing. This should give some kind of success or failure. You won't see this share as being available, but you will be able to type it into the Explorer address bar.

Similarly, \\host\admin$ is another share you can type in to test.
hi

So I can connect via netbios. No problems there.
I switched off the firewall in services.msc ( when I just turned it off in the Win firewall control panel it would, upon a reboot, actually say 'on' for the first...25 seconds, then it would turn off.. ).
I can ping, logon to c$ & admin$

what I tried was starting the conversion procedure, then connecting to the snapshot via hyper-v. And looking at the taskmanager.. but nothing seems to start 😞

so everything _seems_ fine, but it's not deploying any installs ?
Can you post the log where it fails?

Also, let's verify that there's an Audit Logon event when you're attempting repackaging. Re-take the snapshot after setting the Windows Logon Audit policy in the group policy manager (gpedit.msc -> computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Audit Policy).

Then, after trying to do the Auto-Repackager, check the Event Viewer's Security log and see if there's anything there for the attempted login from your machine hosting the AAC process.
hi Cary.

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow @ work!
Something is happening..Something is happening..Something is happening..Something is happening..Something is happening..Something is happening..Something is happening..Something is happening..Something is happening.. 😄

Sorry, couldn't contain myself...

will report back exactly WHAT _is_ happening..!
ok, wauv.. the whole thing seems to work.
Just tried doing a conversion of java... seems to repackage it..

What I need to repackage is a folder containing lots of files and a setup.exe file.

The aac only seems to include and try to install the 1 file..setup.exe..

How can I make sure it uses the whole folder?
I think when you added the installer, you might have only browsed to the setup.exe file instead of the folder.

Try using the "Browse Folders" option when you're adding the package to AAC.
MichaelU
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
Symbiot wrote:
What I need to repackage is a folder containing lots of files and a setup.exe file.

The aac only seems to include and try to install the 1 file..setup.exe..

How can I make sure it uses the whole folder?
See the property on the package Installation > Compressed which defines whether AAC copies a single file or the full folder (and subfolders) to the virtual machine. It's probably set to True but should be False for this package.
(note to self)

My problem seemed to be rooted in the account being created in AD.

I removed the laptop from domain to workgroup and back...

And it suddenly worked...