cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to create a service

hi all
i'm a newbie with adminstudio and here is my problem;

i have create an msi file with success but i still have a problem, i don't know how to create a service into my win2k pc.

i don't even know where to start.

thanks in advance for your help.
(7) Replies
You can search in the AdminStudio Help Library for "How do I install and configure a Windows NT service?" and this should bring up a help topic that can get you started.
If your question is in context with service not getting installed in your repackaged MSI, pls make sure you checked the option "Map NT service events to the Service Control" option in Repackager IDE before building the msi. This will populate the MSI service tables.
Praveen

i've checked in the repackager ide but i can't find the check box that you mentioned.

where is it?

thanks
What version of Adminstudio are you using?
ok i have found it but only after the msi is done.
is it possible to check it before doing my capture?

and you are right, i have package an app that have 2 services but they are not capture into my msi file.

thanks for your time.
adminstudio version 5.0
with value pack 1
Services are captured by default by the repackager. You will find the captured data in .NIR file.

When this file is converted to the MSI database, we populate the ServiceInstall table with the appropriate entries.

Here is more information on the files used by the Repackager:

Files used by the Repackaging Wizard:

1. isrepackager.ini

This is an input file for the repackager wizard.

This file is present in the . If the file is not found, then the Repackager Wizard extracts a default file from the resource and stores it in the

This file contains a list of the exclusions for the files, folders, ini files and the registry entries. During the Snapshot and InstallMonitoring modes of repackaging, the entries in this file are filtered out from the repackaged output.

2. Options.ini

This is an output file from the repackager wizard.

Repackaging wizard makes a copy of the default Options.INI that is present in the \\Repackager directory and saves this file in the same location as the current repackaged output file (.INC).

This file is used by the Repackager IDE during the conversion of this repackaged file (*.INC) to an MSi package.

3. .inc

Created in the Repackager output directory (specified in the Set Target Project Information and Capture Settings panel).

Contains the locations of files, INI files, and shortcuts detected by Repackager as having been created, modified, or removed during repackaging. Also contains a link to the Standard.nir and Deleted.isr files for registry information.

4. Updated.isr

This is an output file from the repackager wizard when the InstallMonitoring method is used.

Created in the Repackager output directory (specified in the Set Target Project Information and Capture Settings panel).

Contains registry additions and modifications detected during repackaging using installation monitoring only.

5. Deleted.isr

Contains registry deletions detected during repackaging using installation monitoring and snapshot.

6. Standard.nir

This is an output file from the repackager wizard when the Snapshot method is used.

Contains registry additions and modifications detected during repackaging using snapshot method.

7. *.SPY

This is an output file from the repackager wizard when the InstallMonitoring method is used.

Created in the \InstallHook folder.

Contains API call logs for installation monitoring.

Files used by the Repackager IDE:

1. *.irp

Repackager project file. Saved in the same location as the .INC file.

This is main file for each repackaged or converted setup. Contains information about the INC files referred to and also stores the file, folder, ini files and registry exclusions made in the Repackager IDE.

2. .ini

This is an input file for the conversion of the INC file to an MSI package.

Contains the list of files, folder, INI Files and Registry entries exclusions. Users can choose a different exclusion file from the Repackager IDE and the exclusions will be reflected in the IDE.

3. Options.ini

This is an input file for the conversion of the INC file to an MSI package.

Contains configuration information about the repackaged setup, including whether to use path variables, whether to display a limited user interface during installation of the repackaged setup and whether every file will go into its own component. Additionally, the UseSrcFolder flag can be used to store the created Developer file in the same directory as the INC file.