Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shortcut not replaced during Minor Upgrade

Hello,

I have 2 versions of a product:

version 1.0
version 1.1

version 1.0 installs some files + "SHORTCUT1" that points to "FILE A" on the Desktop.

version 1.1 installs exactly the same files as version 1.0. The only change is the shortcut on the Desktop that is renamed to "SHORTCUT2" (but still pointing to the same "FILE A")

When I apply the Minor Upgrade, SHORTCUT2 is added next to SHORTCUT1 instead of replacing SHORTCUT1.

Is this normal? What can I do to remedy this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
(2) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
My apologies if you've check this stuff already.
1. Make sure that your component codes match up - so that MSI know the shortcut is coming from the same component in both installs. (if you've specified a 'previous package' in your 'Release' view, then you're good on this point)

2. Make sure that you've also set the 'DisplayName' for the shortcut, and not just the IDE name which corresponds to the MSI table key.

3. Generate a verbose log to see if that yields any clues.
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked both versions and everything matches...

The shortcuts in version 1.0 and 1.1 :
- belong to components with same component codes and same component names
- point to a file with same name (FileName column in File table)
- belong to a feature with same name (Feature column in Feature table) and same display name (Title column in Feature table)

The only difference is the shortcut name (Name column in Shortcut table)

And this is the problem... I have changed the shortcut name in version 1.1 to match the shortcut name of version 1.0 (but changed the target file to see if the shortcut was replaced)

Result: shortcut is replaced.

Conclusion: Windows Installer relies on the DISPLAY NAME of a shortcut, not on the shortcut identifier (Shortcut column in Shortcut table)

So, in my case (which is I think a normal case), the only way of doing is to include a Custom Action to remove the shortcut of version 1.0 ?! (unless anyone has another idea)