cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Failed to create Transform" message with Tuner

Hi,

I try to create a transform using tuner.
I select "Response transform" and I click on Create Transform.
dialog box appears but when I click on "Next" Button I have that error:
"Installation not complete. Failed to create transform" and after "No Msi Database is currently opened".
With Wise, I don't have that problem, but i have a message like that:
"that package does not support hiding dialogs".

What can I do to create a transform with tuner.

PS: I don't use Wise, but I wanted to know if it works with it.

Any ideas ?

Thank you for replies.
(8) Replies
I posted on this a little while ago:

http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=157149&page=2&pp=5

Basically, sometimes properties are set by the setup.exe bootstrapper, and are necessary to avoid erroring out the UI sequence. Try logging it when installing normally and see what command parameters are passed.
I've already read your post, but I don"t launch MSI via setup.exe. I just launch MSI file (not setup.exe) and I don't have any error message.
Logging still will help to address the issue. Since the response transform wizard is basically just launching the package, you can log it using the logging policy to see what's running amok.

If you post the log, it should be evident what is taking place.
I launched MSI with /L*v switch.
MSI puts many properties (~ 100).
It's too long to check what property Tuner needs to continue but I see in dialog event that Next button calls a CA (a function in a DLL) , and I think that this CA fails.
Can you post the log you generated from the Transform Wizard? It should be possible to confirm whether this is the case or not.
It's not a log from the transform wizard, it's a log when i launch my MSI file
In that log, the MSI is not installed but I just click on Next button to see what properties are put and after I cancel the installation.

But how can you do to create a log with transform wizard ?
I successfully created a log from the transform wizard.
A Ca failed but I don't know why.
Looks like there is a bunch of Custom Actions that aren't getting run during the UI sequence for some reason:

MSI (c) (E8:B8) [16:57:10:832]: Doing action: CheckETACLTPrev
MSI (c) (E8:B8) [16:57:13:352]: Doing action: SetCA_APPSWDIR
MSI (c) (E8:B8) [16:57:13:914]: Doing action: SetECSDirScript
MSI (c) (E8:B8) [16:57:14:336]: Doing action: SetINGNetDir
MSI (c) (E8:B8) [16:57:14:667]: Doing action: FindCAI
MSI (c) (E8:B8) [16:57:15:159]: Doing action: FindINGNET
MSI (c) (E8:B8) [16:57:15:651]: Doing action: FindCAMCAFT

These actions aren't present in the TRansform Wizard log, although I'm not sure why. If they were skipped because of their condition, there would be an entry similar to:

Skipping Action: ActionName (Condition is false)

These custom actions look to be InstallScript, and if the entry point numbers are any indicator, this is a VERY complex setup, as these start getting numbered at 'f1':

MSI (c) (E8:0C) [16:57:10:892]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: P:\TEMP\MSI2A1E.tmp, Entrypoint: f83

Difficult to say what exactly they are doing, but in a worst case scenario, you can see all the property changes that the custom actions are making in the log, and so you can account for this in a regular transform (although I realize this is very inconvenient).