cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.irp file with Repackage message

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am new to AdminStudio ver5.0. I have a training guide that was given to me by someone who attended the AdminStudio course. I am on doing the exercises and ran into an issue.

I am using the Multi-Snapshot method of repackaging. I am using the Sample App 3000 exercise. Here is what I have done thusfar:

1. Using VMWare 3.0 I've created a VM workstation (Windows 2000 Professional) on my laptop. The laptop has 512mb of RAM, 20gb hard drive with nearly 15gb still free. It has an Athlon Duron processor(1 ghz). I believe it fills the bill.

2. I created the storage folders as per the textguide and in the VMworkstation mapped the S: storage (pointing to C:\Repackager) and R: repackager (pointing to the c:\program files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\5\Repackager).

3. In the VMworkstation, i launched R:\isrepackager.exe and used the Snapshot , initial mode

4. Next, in the VMworkstation, I executed the Sample App

5. Next, in VMworkstation, I performed the final Snapshot and it then launched the summary box to finish the installation and then went directly into Repackager. I saved the IRP file and closed repackager and when prompted I selected "discard" (was told to do this by the individual who attended the course)

6. I launched AdminStudio from the development side of my laptop and went to C:\repackager\sample app\repackager files and double clicked the Sample App 3000. irp. This is when I get the message:

the .inc file referenced by the project could not be found

BUT, in the folder is : COMMONFILES folder, PROGRAMFILES FOLDER, SYSTEMFOLDER and the following files: Options.ini, standard.nir, and Sample App 3000.irp, Sample App 3000.inc

It appears the NIC file exists, so I'm confused. I've stopped at this point to check the problem out

Can anyone give me a hand?
Thanks
(5) Replies
Open up IRP file with Notepad, and modify the path to INC file.

In your VM environment, S drive is where the snapshot is saved to. In your Development environment, S drive does not exist, that's why you are seeing the error.

By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I think I understand. In my VM environment, I've mapped S to C:\Repackager but that is really in my Development part of the laptop. C: is the VM drive. So, how do I direct my VM workstation to the Development share (c:\repackager). Should I map it to:

PCName\share? I.e. if my PCname is W2k and the repackager is shared as Storage.....

\\W2k\Storage vs. C:\repackager

thanks for your help
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
TsungH,
Thanks. It works. I'm feeling much better about all of this. I'm at Chapter 6 and ran into another snag.

I'm at the section called: Separating User and Machine Data. I've gotten to the section where I'm changing the component key path to point to a Per-user registry value. It calls for me to create a new Key Value under: (Question: is this just an example or is this part somehow a necessary part of the repackaging procedure?)

hkcu/software/sample Co/sample app (mine is called sample app 3000). Under this key, I'm supposed to create a new value called "Artwork" but.....when I check the registry, the main keys already exist....HKCU/Software/Sample Co/Sample App 3000.

In the Right Pane, I pointed my mouse cursor and did a Right Click....there is no option to create a new value. Plus, I was surprised that the keys were already there. I kinda thought I'd have to create the main keys , as well.

So, the question is: how do I create the new value? Where is the option NEW?

Thanks
So, the question is: how do I create the new value? Where is the option NEW?
I suppose you are in Registry view. It will be easier to demonstrate with a screenshot (on Registry view), unfortunately, I don't have access to AdminStudio at this time.

You can use Component view instead, and select a component to which you associate new registry entries.

By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
TsungH,
Once again, Thank you. I was able to create the value in Components. Am not sure why I am doing this for the exercise,however. The instructions for the exercises are not very clear and I'm discovering that there are some discrepancies in them. I re-read the instructions and it clearly states to go to the Registry View to create the value.

One other note. The instructions do not address what type of value to create so I chose the DWord value.

I noticed that there is already a value with a KeyPath. I thought in my reading that there should only be ONE keypath set but I was able to create the ArtWork value and set it to a KeyPath. I am guessing that the ArtWork value is merely an exercise to show me how to create a Registry value and set it to a KeyPath. I don't see any other reason for creating it. I don't think the build would have mattered if I had not created it. Just guessing.

In any event, I continued and did the Build using . and now I'm going on to Chapter 7.

Appreciate all your help. I hope to finish all the exercises by next week. It's a longer process doing "self-study". You've been extremely helpful.

Many thanks again.