cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

group together multiple MSIs

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have created a few .msi projects using the repackager. Now I want to be able to deploy these applications as part of a suite of applications with a master installation that will allow you to choose which of the applications you want to install. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I have to use merge modules? Do it manually?

Thanks
(7) Replies
You could build a MASTER project and implament a LaunchAndWait kind of methodology to your script. Each application would have to reside in its own Feature to really be able to accomplich this. I am not sure that is really the best way to go. If you are loking for a menu where users select which applications they want there are better ways to do this. Post a few more details on what you where hoping to accomplish.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
After further research I think a nested install will work best for me. I am creating a install package for building 450 XP machines that will make the installation of multiple peices of common software eaiser. Eash group will have thier own set of applications that they need, and I want to make it easy to install multiple msis that I've created from one interface.
Nested Installations has its own gotchas:

With Nested Installation, patching may not work properly. Microsoft does not recommend patching Nested Installations.

Here is the excerpt from the MSI help:

Developers should note the following warnings when authoring nested installations:

1. Nested installations cannot share components:
2. An administrative installation cannot also contain a nested installation.
3. Patching and upgrading may not work with nested installations.
4. The installer may not properly cost a nested installation.
5. Integrated progress bars cannot be used with nested installations.
6. Resources that are to be advertised cannot be installed by the nested installation.
Are you running on a Novell or Windows network?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
We are running a 5500 device Windows 2000 AD network in non-native mode. We also use SMS 2.0 for some software distribution. We have a ghost image of an XP build with common software and all updates that we build our machines with. The install package I am working on would be installed during the build process before deployement on about 450 machines.
Wonderful,
If you manage these customers with groups you can run the VBScript that will do an AD lookup on their groups. You could execute the various MSI's based on the customer group membership.

Build a Case Statement

Case "GroupWhatever"
CreateProcess "msiexec.exe /i \\whatever.msi /qb", wait
Next

You can run this at the end the MiniSetup.

Hopefully this helps.

You can get some AD/WSH at "http://www.winscripter.com/wsh/"
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for the tips Pfeiffer! Unfortunatly we just recently upgraded from NT 4.0 to AD and don't have usable group OUs set up yet...