cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.exe gets triggered during build

I apologize if this is a dumb question, I've had to switch from Wise to Installshield in one day and am under the gun, no training...

I've built a nice little MSI with the tool, which works fine, so I've got the basics. I now need to "re"-package 2 files (that MSI + an executable together) into another "extractor" (MSI or exe) that, when run, puts those 2 files in a specific location (we do this because we push software with BigFix, kinda like SMS, so I'm "extracting" my 2 files (MSI and EXE) in a folder on the PC, and then trigger the silent install with bigfix's script where I pass it licensing info, etc)

When I attempt to build a simple MSI project that contains those 2 files (MSI and an .exe), at build time, Admin studio actually *runs* the executable !!! Why ? I don't want to run it, I just want to deliver it in a specific folder with that accompanying MSI, and run that stuff later from BigFix.

I must be missing an option like " Don't run stuff while building, Dammit " 😉
Or is there another way to repackage stuff into an EXE that essentially just copies files to a folder ? If I do the same in Wise, it works without an issue, so I must be missing something... Thanks !

Edit: I've just built something similar with another set of files (and 2 exes), it worked fine... Why on earth is is launching "this" exe during build and not another, is beyond me.
For giggles I let it go through running this exe, meaning I had to enter a license, pick options etc...and the resulting MSI actually does what I want: it puts those 2 files where I want them... So why did it make me Run that exe for nothing ???
(1) Reply
Hi There,

If it's running the file during the build, there is one possible culprit: if you accidentally set the file for "Com Extract at Build".

This will run the *.exe file with the /regserver parameter to see if it can sniff the COM Registration process, and in turn integrate that registry data into the installer. Check your components in the project for this setting and see if maybe this is what's been set.