cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual machine for Automated App Converter

sanderson
By Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

Do you need a virtual machine to do the app converter for virtual apps?

(1) Solution

For creating virtual applications like Microsoft App-V or VMware ThinApp with AdminStudio, if the installer package starting off with is MSI-based, then AdminStudio can perform a direct conversion from MSI to these virtual formats without needing a virtual machine to perform a capture (like the native Microsoft App-V Sequencer or VMware ThinApp Setup Capture programs require).

However, many MSIs have attributes that don’t lend themselves to direct conversion to a virtual format; these attributes would include things like Conditionalized Components and Custom Actions. For these installers as well as any non-MSI installers, AdminStudio can automate the use of virtual machines to perform capturing the original installer and taking that capture and creating a virtual application package from this.

More information in the AdminStudio product help here:

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/adminstudio2019r2sp1/adminstudio.htm#helplibrary/Vam_RootTopic.htm

(Note this link is for the current release of AdminStudio as of the date of this posting, please consult HelpNet  for the latest version of the AdminStudio product help)

Creating MSIX packages in AdminStudio is similar to how to create these virtual applications.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

For creating virtual applications like Microsoft App-V or VMware ThinApp with AdminStudio, if the installer package starting off with is MSI-based, then AdminStudio can perform a direct conversion from MSI to these virtual formats without needing a virtual machine to perform a capture (like the native Microsoft App-V Sequencer or VMware ThinApp Setup Capture programs require).

However, many MSIs have attributes that don’t lend themselves to direct conversion to a virtual format; these attributes would include things like Conditionalized Components and Custom Actions. For these installers as well as any non-MSI installers, AdminStudio can automate the use of virtual machines to perform capturing the original installer and taking that capture and creating a virtual application package from this.

More information in the AdminStudio product help here:

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/adminstudio2019r2sp1/adminstudio.htm#helplibrary/Vam_RootTopic.htm

(Note this link is for the current release of AdminStudio as of the date of this posting, please consult HelpNet  for the latest version of the AdminStudio product help)

Creating MSIX packages in AdminStudio is similar to how to create these virtual applications.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!