Highlighted
Pilgrim

Using the repackager to convert setup.exe to an msi

I am trying to repackage an application that uses a setup.exe. What method can I use to provide automatic answers to 3 dialog boxes such as accepting the license agreement, typical install, and default install path, etc? I need to deploy the msi through the active directory using a group policy object. The repackaged application msi installs sucessfully when I provide answers, but does not install automatically through the active directory. I tried using a transform, but that does not work. I just need someone to point me in the right direction, the help files don't appear to have the answer.

Thanks,

Paul
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Pilgrim

er...

What you will need to do is either remove the Dialogs all together or provide the answer as default in the MSI itself.

Unfortunatly both of these options are outside of my knowledge I just know it is possible to do 🙂

If I find out how ill post here but your best bet is to wait for someone with far more knowledge than me about Adminstudio to post hehe.

Paul
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Ok...

I have found out how you can remove the License Agreement stuff.

You basically can set the dialogs to jump over the license agreement screen when you click on next. So in my case I set the InstallWelcome dialog to jump straight to CustomerInformation when you click on Next rather than to the LicenseAgreement. Also dont forget to ensure that the back button on the CustomerInformation dialog jumps back to InstallWelcome and not the LicenseAgreement!

Anyway hope this helps and who knows if this is how your meant to do it, I bet some qualified Installshield boffin will come on and tell me that it is wrong to do that hehe

Paul
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flexera beginner

Re: Using the repackager to convert setup.exe to an msi

Any update on doing this? I have an install package built with Developer 8.1 with a setup.exe that I need to convert to .msi as our network guy is wanting to install it via Active Directory blah, blah so he can push it to all the relevant machines and do less work. 😉

I'm wondering if you solved your problem, or anyone else has advice?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Well....

Take a clean machine with your companies standard build.

Install Adminstudio, or run the Repackager from the network (which is best)

Take a snapshot and then install your software

Take another snapshot and the files will be listed that have been captured

Exclude anything that isnt related to your application

Build your msi

As default it will only come up with 2 dialogs when you install this package and neither of them are require ones so if you then add this msi to AD etc it will install silently with no issues.

Obviously ensure that you test your application and also if possible check your entire msi app using installshield x.

Take particular note of any dlls and ensure that you have no conflicts with your base O/S build.

Any question then feel free to post.

Paul
0 Kudos