cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using adminstudio to repackage a package that works across all windoze platforms

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
We would like to use AdminStudio to repackage existing applications on different Win32 platforms for distribution to the appropriate Win 32 platforms.
Would there have to be a different package for each OS ? Would Adminstudio 3.5 be the right tool for the task ?
Thanks in advance for your help!
(4) Replies
it is possible to do a multi OS packet. but it isnt easy and for some reason under 3.5 i cant get it to work any more. There is a condition that allows the system to check for os version. but for the life of me i can not get versionnt to work any more. I t just dosnt install the os specific parts. not sure why?? any ideas anyone?
scratch the last post. it works fine. was me being a twat 🙂

so yes it is more than possible, it is easy. You do however need to know if the program sets any os specific entries and what they are. You would probably also need to isolate the application dlls. (especially if you want to install anything on win9x platforms)
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Is there a document or something that describes how this may be done ? Or do you have anything that you can share ?
Thanks!
i dont know if there is a document for it..and i have to say it is a bit long winded .. so if anyone knows better methods PLEASE SAY SO.

1: repackage the program on all the platforms you want to distribute. call the packages xxxx98 xxxxnt etc..

2: open each one in turn . look at the component list. throw anything that installs to the [installdir]. this is the same for all versions. You are interested in the ones that go to system system 32 and other system folders. Now look at what is left and compare. most of these will also be the same. usually only the registry entries differ.

3: create a new package. call it default. create one new component for each os you want to install to. DONT FORGET TO ADD THEM TO A FEATURE i did and i spent hours trying to suss it out 😞 set the install condition to version9x or versionnt(dont forget os number) as you see fit. then add all the specific registry entries and files to these components. watch for ocx registries, services stop and starts etc. dont forget that a program might not need a reboot under XP but it sure as hell will under 9x.

4: leave all the shared components in the main component called allotherfiles(1)?? and set that to always install.

5: compile and run the package. job done. obviously you are gonna have to read a bit before you can do this. but just to give you an idea that it is possible.

6: run the bugger. if all goes well you should now only get the bits specific to the os installing. if you have a question, i might be able to answer it, but i am no installshield guru.. email darren.wright@infoserve.endress.com (ONLY THE ORIGINAL POSTER PLEASE) all others will be filtered and deleted.