cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User opinion question

We have 2 developers working with DevStudio/IS 10.5 at this time. The other developer generally does maintenance, while I do most of the new builds. A lot of teh projects coming my way lately are for creating packages for partners/third party vendors. What I am handed is often a mess of files and specs that the other vendor generally just copied to a machine and configured themselves, and now would like a pretty wrapper. Other times, I am given their current setup program(s), and tasked with creating a new install - not launching the old. My question is, is AdminStudio a tool that would benefit us in these described endeavors? I don't want to make time to write up a proposal to tack on a few K'$ to our current bill if it won't benefit us. We do not do any internal deployment of software, so I don't really (at this time) care about all the pluses it has for pushing software, just what it'll do to ease the pain of redeployments. Thanks in advance for any input.
(2) Replies
Yes this is what the repackager does. All that matters to you at this point is the ROI of $3500 and saved man hours.

I know you say you don't care about pushing, but if your organziation has SMS 2003 then you can get AS 6 SMS 2003 Edition ( with repackager and tuner ) for *FREE*. Once you create your projects you can then edit them with the InstallShield you already own.

Also, you can buy a 1 SMS site license for around $1200 then use it to get the free AS 6.0 SMS Edition. Now you have 2 toys to play with.

Just a thought...
Chris,
Thanks for the reply. Our operations department is the one that handles updates, and apparently has been trying to get approval for SMS for a couple of years. The Network Admin doesn't seem to think it'll happen this next budget session either, so I am going to try to work up a great business case for why I should bump my developer license to an AS one. The time it takes to genereate redeployments right now should help some in my quest.