cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to AdminStudio v8.5?

I'm brand new here on the forums so please bear with me.....

Currently we are planning an upgrade to v8.5 from v7.5 for AdminStudio...Client and backend. My question is would it be feasible to upgrade the backend first and still have the v7.5 clients for the techs work on the upgraded v8.5 backend? The reason I ask is its hard to roll without some sort of phased rollout such as this in my large environment. Any help or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance.
(5) Replies
Hi,

When you are referring to the backend, are you running Managed catalogs in 7.5, or Standalone catalogs? It might be possible to do this with standalone catalogs, since the database is so similar between 7.x and 8.x, however, the Enterprise Server piece is a completely different application starting with 8.0, and so there's no interoperability with legacy clients for the new Enterprise catalog. So for managed catalogs, this would require upgrading everything all at once.

In any case, I would think that the 7.5 client would work with an 8.5 database in theory, but there may be checks in place that prevent 7.5 from connecting to a catalog that's been upgraded to a newer schema version. At the end of the day, it's pretty likely that you'll have to upgrade everything all at once either way.
I just received some more information regarding this. AdminStudio 8.5 database schema is compatible with AdminStudio 7.5, and this should work when connecting to an 8.5 database. If you are using Enterprise Server, you will need to connect to the database as a Standalone catalog, however.

Let us know if you find this not to be the case, though.
Cary R wrote:
I just received some more information regarding this. AdminStudio 8.5 database schema is compatible with AdminStudio 7.5, and this should work when connecting to an 8.5 database. If you are using Enterprise Server, you will need to connect to the database as a Standalone catalog, however.

Let us know if you find this not to be the case, though.

Thank you for the information, I am using Enterprise Server and a managed catalog, I'm upgrading tonight, not much in the way of a test I can run since don't have a test environment, but I will keep you guys updated.

From the sounds of it, I will have to have my clients connect as a standalone catalog to get it to work....that might not be feasible. I will give it a shot though.
Ok, update...so it has been the longest 72 hours of my life, catastrophic results. This will teach me to try and "upgrade' while having only "bronze" support (4-5 days response by way of web support only). The upgrade started out well enough. The files extracted from the 500Mb .exe well enough, then it went into automatic install mode. It did not pick up that AdminStudio Enterprise Server was installed or that there was a current catalog already being used...at this point with my boss standing over my shoulder I began to panic.

She noticed and suggested backing out what we have done so far and researching further, easier said than done. I cancelled out of the install wizard and to my dismay it not only stopped the install of v8.5 but also kindly removed the registry settings for v7.5!!!!

No problem, I have a Cristie Bare Metal Restore off the servers OS (C: drive) and my TSM nightly backup of the storage drives. NOT, the CBMR was corrupt and this is where I began to lose it. I have 20 something engineers using the v7.5 client, with no conflict solving/merge modules and no way to run in standalone mode being that there is no AdminStudio server or catalog for them to connect to come Monday morning. I figure I guess I will have to try and go forward with the upgrade to v8.5 and bite the bullet, I have my storage with all the application builds still intact, I have my configurations that I saved off, and worst case I can rebuild from scratch.

Long story short I have the AES v8.5 up now publishing the AES web page and portal (which by the way before you attempt to upgrade get another public IP address ready because the website needs one and the web portal requires one now too, read your documentation). I have to recreate all the user accounts, and redefine roles!!! Fun stuff.
I'm sorry to hear about how badly things went!

If there's one thing that might help ease your difficulties, you could check to see if there's still a 'db' folder for AES 7.5. There's an AES7Migrator utility included with 8.x that will migrates your users and roles and such over to the new Enterprise catalog:

HOWTO: Migrate Custom Users and Roles in AES 7.x to AdminStudio 8
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q112624