cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuner with Office 2000 and Office XP

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
An application that I have packaged will only work with Excel 2000. But Office XP is installed as part of the base image and is the corporate standard. These are the steps that I have taken, to get the application to function on a clean XP workstation.

*Install Excel 2000 to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2000\ (not standard location).
*Install remaining Office XP Features (word,outlook...etc) to default directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\. During the installation I choose not to do the upgrade.

So to automate this task I...
*Created a Transform for Excel 2000 and Office XP
*In a script installed Excel 2000 using a transform. This functioned fine.
*In a script Installed Office XP using a transform as well, but this didn't work as expected. This upgrade Excel 2000 to XP and failed to install the remaining Office Features.

What I am thinking is that the transform runs differently when I use the /qb install during installation, or that Tuner did not pick up the options that I set when I told the install not to do an upgrade. I am guessing that the first is the reason, although I don't have any idea on how to remedy it.

I would love to try any ideas anyone has,
(2) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have managed to solve this issue using the Office XP Maintence Utility (MAINTWIZ.exe) to remove Excel XP, then I could install Excel 2000.

But I am curious; MAINTWIZ is specific to Office, but how does it work, I know it uses the MSIEXEC. But does it do a complete uninstall/reinstall or does it simply add or remove the features that have been defined in the CMW file. The process when run from the Network was fairly quick which made me think that it didn't do a complete reinstall.

Is there a way to Add or Remove features of an MSI package without reinstalling the entire package?
You could reinstall a package with ADDLOCAL or REMOVE properties set. This will (depending on the REINSTALLMODE property) not reinstall files that are already there.

Regards,

Rene