cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying Admin Studio Repackager for the first time, can't get it to work..

Hi,

I am trialling Admin Studio 7 at the moment.

I am trying to use it to create rollout packages which I can use on multiple Windows XP machines.

I want to be able to install an app, configure it, then build an .exe which includes both the app and all the configuration settings.

The first (and only) app I have tried is Mozilla Firefox 1.5. I can't get this to work at all. Here's what I am doing:
1. Load Repackager, start Repackaging Wizard
2. Choose Snapshot
3. Choose Multiple Steps, Analyze System Status
4. Install Firefox by running their setup program. Once Firefox is installed, I load it up and set a couple of configuration options (e.g. change home page)
5. Re-run repackager wizard, choose Multiple Steps, Analyze System Status Change
6. Save the project to a local filesystem and open in it in Repackager
7. Go to Repackaged Output, tick 'create a setup.exe', then Build
8. Copy this setup.exe to a new XP build, and run it.

What happens when I do this is that Firefox seems to install fine - the program and shortcuts are all there. But when I run it, nothing happens. I double-click the icon, get a brief hourglass, then nothing. If I look in Task Manager I can see that firefox.exe is running, but it does not appear to be doing anything, and I can't see it.

As well as doing the above, I have also tried the One Step method, and I have also tried Installation Monitoring instead of Snapshot.

I wasn't sure if I required only the setup.exe, or also the other files in the Project directory. So I have tried running setup.exe on its own, and in a directory with all those other files.

All of this results in exactly the same thing - install seems to have worked, but the app won't run.

I don't really know enough about the product to debug this, so any help would be much appreciated. Firefox is one of the apps I need to rollout - I need to install it on a large number of workstations, pre-setting a large number of configuration options. I also need to do this with the Thunderbird email client. I was hoping Repackager was the right tool to achieve this.

Thanks

Tom
(2) Replies
I should add that I have now tested Admin Studio with some other apps, and they work fine.

So the problem is just with Firefox. I have tried Firefox versions 1.5 and 1.0.7 with the same results.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
My guess is you are missing AS7 Hotfix 4. I have verified the repackaging of Firefox 1.5 with this critical hotfix and it appears to work well. Please try downloading the hot fix and rebuilding your project. Note that it will not be necessary to recapture the Firefox setup.

Download the hotfix here ...
http://knowledge.macrovision.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q111853&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_HOTFIX_1_1&dialogID=1035941&stateId=0%200%201041404

If this does not help, please let us know.

For anyone else using AS7 Repackaging: This hotfix is MANDATORY.