cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The wizard was interrupted before Adminstudio 2022 R2 Service Pack 1 could be completely installed.

Trying to install Adminstudio 2022 R2 SP1 using AdminStudio2022R2SP1.exe, from elevated command prompt.

It gets a little ways, then says "The wizard was interrupted before Adminstudio 2022 R2 Service Pack 1 could be completely installed."   A peek in windows application log shows this:

"The installation of C:\Users\(MYNAME)\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\{8BF8B06D-52D2-4B26-A75E-CA4BB67C69B9}\msoledbsql_64bit.msi is not permitted by software restriction policy. The Windows Installer only allows installation of unrestricted items. The authorization level returned by software restriction policy was 0x0 (status return 0x0)."

It looks like all of the install files for AS are extracted to this location.  Execution of application installs from user profile locations is blocked by policy in our organization.  How can we force the AS installer to extract to a different location, such as c:\temp to avoid this and install the software?

(3) Replies

Hi JMC,
That looks likely due to a software restriction policy.

" is not permitted by software restriction policy. The Windows Installer only allows installation of unrestricted items. "

I would recommend checking with you IT department as to why this may be blocked. Perhaps a GPO is preventing this.

Thank you, yes it is, as I mentioned, policy blocks installations from the user's profile location.  Is there a way to instruct the installer to extract and run from a different, non-user profile location?  Like C:\temp?

Hi @jmc3000 -

Yes, you can use the /stage_only switch followed by the property ISRootStagePath="<full path to preferred folder>" to set an alternate folder path that's used by the installer for staging the installer media before running.

Here's an example:

With the AdminStudio2024.exe installer on my Desktop, I open an elevated command-prompt and change directory so I'm in the Desktop folder in my prompt.  I type the installer, AdminStudio2024.exe and add a space and /stage_only, another space, and then ISRootStagePath="<full_path_to_Desktop>\<staging_folder_name>"

Command Prompt on Desktop.png

Wait about 30 seconds and you should see a splash screen with the AdminStudio logo & progress bar, followed soon after with a dialog that shows Change Current Destination Folder, with the path you provided to the the folder the AdminStudio installer will use to unpack itself before running. You can change the folder here too. Click Install to continue. This will create that new folder and unpack the related installer media into that folder.

New Staging Folder.png

On the next dialog, Custom Setup, leave all items selected and click Install. The AdminStudio installation will then proceed, using the staging folder you specified.

Custom Setup.png