cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent Install question

Hi guys, I want to build a silent MSI using Repackager. I mean silent as in the user doesn't even get the 'Next' or 'Finish' buttons, it just runs. Is there an option to do this in AdminStudio?
(5) Replies
ZedxSpec wrote:
Hi guys, I want to build a silent MSI using Repackager. I mean silent as in the user doesn't even get the 'Next' or 'Finish' buttons, it just runs. Is there an option to do this in AdminStudio?

msiexec /i "the name of your installer.msi" /q

reg, Henno
HennoKeers wrote:

reg, Henno

So i would build the MSI using repackager. Then I would go to a command prompt and run the above command, pointing to the new MSI I have just created? Is that correct?

Oh and thanks for the initial reply.
HennoKeers wrote:

reg, Henno

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I have a setup.exe file. I want to create a msi. And I want the msi to be silent with a progess bar. Using repackager I can build the MSI, but I cannot do it without having user interaction. In other words, 'next' 'next' finish is present. How do I build an MSI from a Setup.exe that will be silent?
ZedxSpec wrote:
Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I have a setup.exe file. I want to create a msi. And I want the msi to be silent with a progess bar. Using repackager I can build the MSI, but I cannot do it without having user interaction. In other words, 'next' 'next' finish is present. How do I build an MSI from a Setup.exe that will be silent?

Well after you created a Repackaging Project (see example attached)
you need to choose "Edit Install Shield Project" instead "Edit Windows Installer Project"

If you build a installshield project you can set the switches in the "Release" Section with Installshield Manager (see also attachment). After you do a build (F7 in IS Manager) a MSI Package which is wrapped into the setup.exe with the correct command line Switches will be created

Now you have to call setup.exe instead of the msi file to do a silent install

Setup.exe extracts then the original MSI File adds the switches and your installation shoud be done in the background (silent) --> for the correct syntax of the switches just type msiexec /?

In the same Section "Release" within IS Manager you can also define, what behavior shoud occur, if maybe the wrong installer.exe is on the client machine and other options.. to best fit your enviroment

Hope this helps
ZedxSpec, did this work for you? I tried all the recommendations and I still get the "next" and "finish" buttons when I click on the MSI.

Now, if I run it through the command line it works.