cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selfrepair without shortcuts

Hello!

I´ve been packaging several applications that have no shortcuts at all, so I cannot use the typical advertised shortcut to launch the selfrepair.

Some examples of this problem:

- Add-ins for Office (templates...)
- Runtimes ( Access runtime for machines without Access)
- Java Virtual Machine...

My main problem right now is that I had to add an Powerpoint addin, and it only works when powerpoint asks for it... and if I delete any file the powerpoint just says "cannot find a needed file, contact your IT department".

Thanks in advance.
(3) Replies
make a registry entry at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\[ProductCode]

put two string entries there:

StubPath = msiexec /fup [ProductCode]
Version = 1,0,0,0

looeee
Thanks for your response, but it doesn´t work for what I need.

I may be wrong, but I think that it will force the self repair when the user restarts or login, but I need a self repair when the user "clicks" the addin in the powerpoint...

If the file is missing it pops up an error (asking you to contact the IT department) and the costumer doesn´t want it at all; he wants it to reinstall instead.

There is any way to put something in the register that makes it to reinstall if the refered file is missing when some application tries to access it?

Thanks for reading.
so long as the repair happens once-per-user, isn't that all that matters?

if your addin contains COM and you have populated the COM Tables and passed validation then it may get repaired at invoke-time. Otherwise there's not much you can do.

looeee