cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace a file in an MSI

This seems like it should be an easy task but so far I am meeting with frustration. What I have is a package from Citrix for their 9.2 client. After updating some test machines from 9.1, I discovered that the 9.2 version broke the desktop shortcut functionality. Long story short, we spoke with a rep from Citrix who eventually got us a work around by having us download a different version of the wfcrun32.exe file and dropping it in the install folder. This works but I need to modify the installation package to use the file that I received from Citrix. I have tried plucking the original file out of the project and replacing it with the newer version but upon distribution to a test machine, it is getting the original version of the file that came with the original package for 9.2.

Could someone let me know where else I should be looking for a reference to the file and folder structure other than under organization and again in application data? It has been mentioned to me that the msi file might be trying to do a self repair. If so, I do not know how to prevent this.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Greg.
(2) Replies
There is not enough information. When installing the updated 9.2 onto the machine that has 9.1, is the "original" repackaged 9.2 already installed? What's the version of original and updated wfcrun32.exe? And etc.

In any case, I will strongly recommend logging with /l*v switch when installing updated 9.2, and pay particular attentions to the component that contains wfcrun32.exe. The log should provide enough details for you to troubleshoot.
Did you ever find a solution for this? This sounds similar to the issue I am having. I am trying to replace the appsrv.ini, appsrv.src, pn.ini, pn.src and run into the same result. The old version stays. If I remove the old version from the installation all together, I get "Internal Error 2705. Directory".