cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackaging question -- re: software requirements

I have just purchased AdminStudio, brand new user, and before I install it I need to ask a requirements-related question. If I want to convert an InstallShield MSI application to a Basic MSI application, does InstallShield need to be on the same computer where I install AdminStudio?

I assume there are two ways to convert -- one by just using setup.exe and taking snapshots (I've heard somewhere this is the old way of doing things, and is discouraged), and the other by directly modifying the InstallShield MSI project file itself. And I suspect that if the latter method is used, it would need to be compiled, which might require InstallShield to be on the same computer.

I just want to avoid installing AdminStudio onto a computer that does not have InstallShield, then finding out later I have to uninstall it, and put it onto another computer. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. 🙂

Advice appreciated, thanks.
(1) Reply
InstallShield is part of the AdminStudio tool kit. For the past several releases of AdminStudio, InstallShield is now a Setup Prerequisite for AdminStudio. If it's not there, the AdminStudio's setup.exe will install it.