cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackaging an IS Self-Extracting EXE

I trying to repackage a vendor application that was created as an InstallShield Self Extracting EXE.

I've created a .ISS file and this handles all of the responses that I needed to. However, at the beginning of the install I still have a pop up that says,

INSTALLSHIELD SELF-EXTRACTING EXE
THIS WILL INSTALL APPLICATION. DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?
yes/no

Then there is another popup for a password.

Has anyone seen this before?? If so, how did you bypass it???

Thanks
(2) Replies
Hello mxl0b23,

Typically self-extracting setups extract the files to the temp directory, and then run the normal setup.exe.
A crude but practical workarround is to do the following:
1) Open a windows explorer window and go to the temp directory.
2) Run the setup and go the the temp folder once the first dialog from the setup is displayed. Notice that I said from the setup. This will be after the initial dialog from the self-extractor, and after the password dialog.
3) A folder will be created in the temp folder, and it will contain installation files.
4) Copy and use thoose installation files instead of the self-extractor.

I believe that there may be switches that you can use to use the self-extractor directly, but this is easier.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

-Obed

P.S. To find the location of the temp folder, you can open a command prompt and type set. This will display all environment variables including the location of the temp folder.

For info on the commandline parameters look at: http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q102293
That workaround did it.

Thanks for the help...