cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackaging an App with a dependancy?

I am repackaging an app and it requires Access 97. I'm not sure what most people do when they package an app that has a dependancy? I know when I have installed products in the past that need a dependancy you will get a message saying "This App needs this in order to run" etc . How can I get my package to do that? I basically want some way that someone can find out that this App needs Access 97 other than writing it down in some document. Hope that makes sense!?
(2) Replies
ZedxSpec wrote:
I am repackaging an app and it requires Access 97. I'm not sure what most people do when they package an app that has a dependancy? I know when I have installed products in the past that need a dependancy you will get a message saying "This App needs this in order to run" etc . How can I get my package to do that? I basically want some way that someone can find out that this App needs Access 97 other than writing it down in some document. Hope that makes sense!?

Hi Zed,

The Access runtime is an *.msi package, so you won't want to try and repackage this with the main application.

Since you're aware of this explicit dependency, I would recommend taking your *.ism file in Editor and adding the Access 97 object in the Redistributables view, or just creating a System Search (Installation Designer -> Behavior & Logic -> System Search) that will check to see if the Access 97 runtimes are present. At the end of the System Search wizard, it'll give you the option to use this in an Install Condition, which will throw a fatal error if your search isn't found.
Cary R wrote:
Hi Zed,

The Access runtime is an *.msi package, so you won't want to try and repackage this with the main application.

Since you're aware of this explicit dependency, I would recommend taking your *.ism file in Editor and adding the Access 97 object in the Redistributables view, or just creating a System Search (Installation Designer -> Behavior & Logic -> System Search) that will check to see if the Access 97 runtimes are present. At the end of the System Search wizard, it'll give you the option to use this in an Install Condition, which will throw a fatal error if your search isn't found.

Thats great thankyou.