Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing added Installscript from Basic MSI Project

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have a Basic MSI project.

I briefly added an InstallScript function, then decided on a different approach to perform the task.

Much later, I'm finding that I periodically get the following error at runtime:

Error -1607: Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Run Time

As I'm not using InstallScript anyway, I attempted to remove Setup.rul from the project (remember, this is a Basic MSI project), hoping that this would eliminate the need for the InstallShield Scripting Run Time to be installed.

Now, however, at build time I get the following error:

-6138 Error compiling Setup.rul. Setup.rul is required for the
project. Check to ensure that this file is included in the project.

I know I can eliminate the error by adding a Setup.rul back int othe install, but is there any way to completely eliminate the InstallScript components from this project now?

Thanks in advance!
John
(3) Replies
John, did anyone ever get back to you on this question...? I've been putting up with the same issue, but I really want to get rid of the Setup.rul reference altogether...
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I never did figure out the answer to this. I opened a Support call with InstallShield; their response was to check if I had any Installscript custom actions (used or unused). I did, and deleted them, but the problem continued. I gave up and left the install alone.
Actually, I figured out a solution... Using the DirectEditor I poked around and found there was still a reference to a script function once referenced by some custom action... Since the script had been removed, DevStudio was trying to use the default script (which was the one removed)...

The action had long since been removed, but two of the IS-prefixed tables still contained a reference to it... I deleted the offending references to the function in those tables and was able to build clean from then on... I think the tables were ISSetupFile and ISInstallScriptAction... (but I didn't write it down at the time)...