cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry entries are not coming over to the ISM file

This is frustrating... If I capture an install, review the registry settings such as file associations it looks good.

Now, I build the ISM file and close the Repackager. When I open the ISM file with InstallShield (v11 by the way) and review the registry entries, a lot of them are missing.

If I build the package anyway, install it on my virtual test pc, review the entries, some of them have values that are garbled.

Has this bug been fixed, am I missing something?

Thanks
Lane
(4) Replies
Figured it out...

In Repackager/Advanced Settings, there is a checkbox labeled

"Map registry data to the appropriate COM tables"

I un-checked this box and the entries are coming thru fine now.

-theLane
no

they WERE correct and now they're wrong.

Those file association 'registry entries' that you mentioned have special tables and are handled much better by MSIs than any other setup engine.

If you go to the component that they are associated with (whatever.exe_COM) and go to Advanced Settings->File Types then you'll see all your extensions listed.

The garbled bit is the special magic called self-healing.
To try it, install the original version of the MSI.
Break the app by deleting an exe or dll
double-click on the file you have associated
your app will automagically heal before the file is opened

miss this and you're missing the point of MSIs

looeee
Hmm... okay, but I'll have to leave it as is then for now because of this:

The entries are garbled. When I open the project file and browse the reg entries that repackager has captured, they are not there and if there is one or two, they are corrupt or something because when I install the app and run it, the reg entries are not recognized by the app.

If I go back to repackager and browse the entries captured, they are all there and look fine. Something is happening to them during the process when the repackager creates the ISM file.

Thanks,
-theLane
got any examples?
screenshots?
.reg files?