cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry Key Fails to Install with package (lock on key)

I am working on a vendor supplied MSI and attempting to edit the permissions on a registry key to allow 'users' full control. This is to enable managed users to set the docking on a toolbar.

HKLM\Software\Cornerstone key is present in the package but has a Lock symbol covering the bottom right hand corner of the directory. ?? Not sure what that means. What does this indicate when there is a lock symbol over the directory??
I have the ability to set the permissions on the key (which contains subkeys) but when I install the package this key is not created.
The only time its created is when an admin user changes the docking setting of the toolbar, and then closes the program. At this point the key is created at the HKLM\Software location.
What I require is for the ..cornerstone key to install with the package (not later when the settings are changed in the program)
(Again, it is visible in admin studio, in the software package msi, in the destination computers registry view).
Any ideas why it's not copying, what the unique registry directory key symbol with the lock on it means, and a workaround??

Thank you,
(1) Reply
The lock symbol means there a LockPermissions entry for that key in the LockPermissions table. In other words: special permissions are defined for the key.

You could add a dummy value somewhere to force the creation of the key. Permission will not inherit BTW.

Regards,

René