cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality Monitor reports everything as failing on my WinZip package

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Should I ignore Quality Monitor reporting a multitude of errors on what otherwise appears to be a nice little straightforward smooth-running package?

I have a WinZip package that I think I’ve successfully taken through a thorough package-building process. I have a nice set of documents prepared for this project and have successfully completed a full series of tests:
• Project Build and Validation Test
• Installation Test
• Product Functionality Test
• Uninstallation Test
• Legacy Differences Test
• Application Cleanup Test
• Different-User Test
• Advertisement Tests
• All Users Test
• Per User Test
• And a full set of Acceptance Tests at various times throughout the tests above

But, when I started the Quality Monitor Tests, suddenly the entire package is failing!

Under Deployment Tests, there is only one Prog ID listed –
Status Prog ID Description File Name
Failed WinZip WinZip file C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE
Test Details: Invalid class string

Under Lockdown and Runtime Tests everything failed. There is only one shortcut to the single executable (C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE). All 20 files and all 125 registry entries failed. The same failures are generated whether I run it using my normal domain account (which is a local admin on the test machine), a non-admin account, or even the actual local admin account.
I would list the individual Test Item Information results but the list is so long I’ll wait for a response (in case there is some over-arching thing that I’m doing wrong that you can assist me with solving without delving into each one specifically).

Here’s a quick rundown of my futile search efforts…

I have my course book from the Repackaging and Migration Workshop Using InstallShield AdminStudio course but it only gives a couple of pages on “here are the screen shots of the Quality Monitor” and “here’s what to click”.

I have the book Administrator’s Introduction to Application Repackaging and Software Deployment Using Windows Installer, but it contains no reference to the Quality Monitor (I’m guessing the Quality Monitor is newer than that book?)

A Google search for InstallShield “Quality Monitor” generates 1 hit – a review of the Quality Monitor on installshield.com.
A search of the InstallShield HelpNet generates 1 hit – a walkthrough of what the different screens in Quality Monitor look like.

A search of the InstallShield community generates 9 hits – none of which provide any relevant information. The two closest are:
Quality Monitor from VMWare (this post was related to Quality Monitor but was resolved by the user putting the msxml4r file into the Repackager directory. I have a newer version of Quality Monitor (5.50.0.84) and do not have this problem.)
Quality Monitor question (this post mentions that Quality Monitor produces many false positives but other than that does not appear to have any pertinent information)

:confused:
Tanks
(3) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
OK, so here's a link to an overview of the functionality of QualityMonitor...
Q108712 INFO: How Does QualityMonitor Work?

But... still... 😞

It seems like I've made wonderful progress to this point - building up my familiarity and comfort level with Repackager and DevStudio (mind you, from the perspective of a simple 'repackager guy', not an MSI developer). I feel like I've reached the summit of that little hill only to look over the top and see a big mountain ahead called QualityMonitor!

mercy! Can I just stay on my little hill and ignore that big bad mountain? I mean, I've taken the InstallShield course, I've familiarized myself with repackaging, I've started to build my familiarity with ICE's and ACE's and, I've built a nice little WinZip package that runs smoothly as different users and passes a full battery of documented tests. BUT, QualityMonitor says "nope! she's all crap buddy! Go back to the drawing board!".

Can somebody respond with their experiences with Quality Monitor? Is anyone using it successfully? If so, cool. What's the learning curve like? I've mapped out the time it took me to get to this point quite well, but I don't think management will be to happy if I go back to them and say "oops, there's this one other test listed in the course that I took. I've just gotten to it and it's called Quality Monitor. My package passed a whack of tests and works great as a locked down user. Nevertheless, this latest product says it's a no-go. It turns out I'll need another 2 or 3 weeks to learn QualityMonitor. 😄 "

Here’s a shot in the dark… Is there anybody out there who is successfully packaging while at the same time ignoring Quality Monitor?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
The short response is that not all errors in QualityMonitor are significant.

Even with an install created for MSI (i.e. not repackaged) like office will show some errors. This does not mean the app will not work as intended. In this sense, these errors are false negatives, but in another sense they are not because the test did actually fail - it just may not be a valid test for how the app is used.

Lock down and permission tests will only show failures encountered. Again, these failures may not be significant. It may show that the app failed to access a particular file, but the app may recover from this.

Basically, QualityMonitor is more useful as a diagnostic tool - to help identify the problems when an app isn't working after repackaging and installing it.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
OK, sounds great! I'll modify my use of it to make it, (as you said) a troubleshooting tool. I'll make sure it's not a showstopper prior to moving a package into production.

tks for the reply