cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin Studio Ideal Enviroment

We are contemplating admin studio and the environment in which we intend to use it. We have a large number of applications that we want to repackage, test, and roll out via SMS2003. Our intention is to repackage every application we are currently using (most are custom built apps) some are shrink wrapped. Most have been packaged using SMS Installer 2.0

My question is, what is the best configuration for the repackaging in a team environement.

What can be run from the server? Can all the components of Admin Studio (Repackager, Dev Studio, Conflict Mgr) be run from the server or do we have to install the full Admin Studio each time we repackage an app. This sounds stupid (installing everything), and I'm sure there is a better way. I have read that you can run the repackager from the server.

Our initial review tells us that 3 machines are necessary for repackaing; W2K Server with SQLServer2000 installed for the conflict manager database. The WinXP Client machines that will have the standard base configuration on for repackaging. Finally a machine that will have the Admin Studio installed to customize the install. Does this sound right, is there a better configuration.

What are others doing, I'd like to hear some various opinions

Thanks
(6) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Ratherbegolfing,

You question is rather broad in scope and as such, I fear that my own response may be inadequate. Ideally, our sales team could answer your question.

You would need one clean system to represent your baseline coporate OS configuration with all service packs. Once you have your baseline system, you would use VMWare or Ghost type products to maintain this baseline system. You would use this system to generate your OS Snapshot (used for Conflict detection) and to do your repackaging. AdminStudio includes a stand-alone installation of it's Repackaging component and so technically you would not install AdminStudio on this sytem. If you have more than one corporate OS configuration, then you may need more than one physical system to represent these configurations.

The system running SQL Server and thus containing the AdminStudio 'Application Catalog' can be one of your common servers and a dedicated server. You will need to judge for your self how extensively you will be doing package imporatation and Conflict detection as these operations would make the most intensive use of the server.

Beyond the systems described above, you will simply but licenses for all of your users who you expect the to use to AdminStudio. InstallShield does offer site license options which can simplify the process.

Allen Saxton
InstallShield AdminStudio Development
Allen, Thanks for your fast response, and I really appreciate the help. I realize the scope is rather large but we are taking at stab at determining our initial scope and requirements.

We have a single corporate image and plan to build on that image for each department, we had initial plans, but these questions were raised that came up at our meeting. It does seem more effective if we run the applications from a common server, especially the repackager and devstudio modules. I do understand the license requirements, what we'd like to know is if the 2 items that I mentioned can be run from the server or another XP box?

Regards
Steve
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Ratherbegolfing,

There are many issues to consider and as such, the word "can" is hard to answer.

Repackaging will almost always be performed on some specific baseline system and not from a server. Once the repackaging is finished, you would be left with a ISM or MSI file that would be used by Tuner or Developer for final review and updates.

The various AdminStudio components require a variety of registry settings in order to operate. Consequently, AdminStudio will almost always be installed on some specific user system. This system may in some cases be a server. This server install of AdminStudio would typically be used by your IT personnel to configure access to AdminStudio options and security settings.

AdminStudio has a concept of a shared directory to which all AdminStudio users (local installs) would share certain common configuration settings. AdminStudio (based on the version) has SQL Server integrated security to allow per user control over permissible options within various AdminStudio tools.

In any case, it would be commonly expected that one person would have Administrator privledges and make these sort of configuration options. Conceptually, all AdminStudio installations are performed locally.

Allen Saxton
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
How about installing AdminStudio on a Windows 2000 Terminal Server and running the tools from a terminal services client? Is this possible (or recommended)?
Jason,

I don't believe that InstallShield or myself for that matter has done any testing of AdminStudio over a Terminal Server. While there is no expectation that AdminStudio will not work properly, I can not make any specific recommendation on the issue.

Allen Saxton
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thank you for the prompt response, Allen.
Top Kudoed Authors