cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting Files

Okay, let's say that version 1.0 of said software is on the box and version 1.0 has 4 mdb files.

Now I'm packaging version 2.0 and it has the same 4 mdb files within it. What I want it to do is only copy the mdb's if they aren't present.

I notice that I can set the "Never Overwrite" on the directory because it has a component. ( I asked this in a previous thread but I don't think my question was detailed enough )But the MDB's don't have components. So I can't set that value.

Is there a way to put the MDB's in the Component listing so that I can use the Never Overwrite function?

Or is there another way to prevent file copy?
(2) Replies
If you are installing a file it has to belong to a component. Find the mdb files in the file table and look at the Component_ column. Perhaps you will have to move the four mdb files out of the component they are currently in, give them a nice new component and set that to never overwrite.
So I made a different (seperate) component for each of the files that I need checked.

It appears that if I "re-install" version 2.0 on top of version 2.0, the check for "never overwrite" works.

However, it still appears that it overwrites version 1.0. Now I notice that under the Never overwrite selection, it says "Installer uses the components "Key file" to determine if the file should be copied" The key file for my components is the file within the component, so, could it be that the previous version wasn't labeled as a key file? hence the newer version overwrites it?

It seems to me that I shouldn't have to write a script to backup and copy my files (this is my last resort). That file protection should be a built in and common thing when building packages.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the reply David.