cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PrePackaged with Installshield

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am currently evaluating AdminStudio for our application deployments. A lot of the applications that we integrate into our baseline come prepackaged utilizing installshiled. I do not understand how to take a prepaked application and repackage it so it will work. I am trying to prepackage Easy CD Creator Basic 5 and everytime I run the packager, it fails. I also tried using developer to just use the MSI file and the 1033 MST file and crate a new project. When this is done, It comes up with a MSI error. Any help you could give me would be most helpful. I need to make a decision shortly on whether or no installshield will meet our needs.
(4) Replies
I am assuming when you say 'prepackage application' you mean the legacy applications (non-msi) authored using InstallShield Professional. The Help in Repackager Wizard should guide you for any step by step for any help needed in Repackaging. Also please give clear details what kind of MSI errors or issues you are getting. Or write me at praveenl@installshield.com I may be able to assist you
Thanks
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
The package has an MSI with it. I believe it was created with Installshield. I tried running the MSI by itself with no luck. I can creat a .MST file but that does not help either. There are multiple languages associated with the install, but by using the copmmandline, I am able to specify English. I tried using the /qn for silent, but it will not work. When the install is done silently, It does not create the icons or finish the install. When trying to repackage, it does not pick everything up. Is it because the install loads drivers for the CDRW (easy cd creator basic 5) or am I doing something wrong???
If your package already has an MSI, it does not need to be repackaged. The repackaging process is for legacy installations (.exe) which are not in Windows Installer format, but need to be.

Since your installation is already in Windows Installer/MSI format, you can customize without modifying your original MSI by creating a transform. In AdminStudio, you can use the Tuner tool to create a transform. For example, in Tuner's Setup Properties view, you can specify the ProductLanguage property so that your installation is done in English.

Once you have your transform, you can run the installation silently, with the transform, with the following commandline:

msiexec /i /T /qn

If you are having specific issues either with AdminStudio Tuner or with certain validation errors, please send an e-mail with more complete details to nank@installshield.com
Have you tried this command line:

msiexec /I "...\ECDC5.msi" TRANSFORMS=1033.mst /qn

By adding TRANSFORMS=1033.mst to your command line you are specifying the language.

1033 is the Windows language ID for English.

Let me know if you are still having problems.